Time to upgrade my Reef Octo SRO 1000 INT?

IPT

So I have been running a SUPER REEF OCTOPUS SRO-1000INT 5" skimmer on my 50 breeder for years. Honestly, I never loved it. Maybe it's the conditions in my house but I find it freaks out and is not stable (water real low one day or week, adjust it, then it's flooding over). Runs fine for weeks, then overflows. I usually have a tough time getting in dialed in. Also the external pumps is bulky and when I have to take it out, its a pain (so I don't do that very often).

Looks like the RO 150SSS Protein Skimmer is smaller, more self contained, and draws more air. I wonder if it would be a worthy upgrade at $270 or so? Are the more modern skimmers (this one) more consistent, more efficient?

Looks like there is some love for the Bubble Magus Curve 5 In Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer at under $200 - plus only 8 watts (about 1/3rd of the RO units). Should this be on my radar, or stick with what I have?

I'm getting more serious about SPS (again) and plan to use the 50 breeder with a 20L or 20H sump. This time around I plan to have more fish for more import of nutrients. Say about 8 fish give or take (is 10 pushing it?) - smaller fish, damsels and a wrasse maybe a psudochromis or something.

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

I've done a lot a research and I'm about to pull the trigger on the RO Essence 130 for a 53 gallon w/29G sump

Its new and not lot of reviews but all the reviews are great. $299

I've done a lot a research and I'm about to pull the trigger on the RO Essence 130 for a 53 gallon w/29G sump

Its new and not lot of reviews but all the reviews are great. $299

What was it that pushed you to that one? I will take a look at it.

Easy to take apart and clean. Aquatrance 1800s is a newer RO pump so replacements and parts should be available for a long time. The replacement pump is only $86, not too bad. Can be incrementally tuned to previously established setting. Supposed to be quieter than previous RO skimmers.

Go to Bulk Reef Supply, there are 4 great reviews there.

Last edited:
Back