Toadstool danglers

TeakieBarber

Premium Member
My Toadstool Mushroom has some very small pieces dangling off the edges. It looks as if they have fallen out and left little crevices and are dangling by threads. Anyone heard or seen this?

My only other idea would be that one of my fish is nipping at it. If that is so, it just started today. I have a Pinktail Trigger, Foxface Lo and Purple Tang. (75g Tank)

I do have another tank I can move the Toadstool to. It's about 8" tall and is/was doing beautifully.

TIA for any help.
Teakie

Brianna ~

I thought of that after I posted...hmm. I guess I'm going to have to do some more research. So far, all I've found was reproducing from the foot, and fragging (which isn't natural reproduction).

Thanks for your input!
Teakie

I've heard of 'toadstool leather' but not mushroom. Are you sure we're not talking apples and oranges? Does your 'toadstool mushroom' look like this:

leather.jpg

If so, you're in the wrong forum. It's not a mushroom at all.

A rose by any other name...

A rose by any other name...

The Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral is referred to as Sarcophyton Coral, Mushroom, Leather, or Trough Corals.
from LiveAquaria.com

It looks like this:
Toad.jpg

Teakie

Wrong forum I'm afraid. :) What I CAN propose to explain the current situation is that toadstool leathers have a tendency to 'shed' every so often.
Their 'skin' will start to peel off. It's nothing to be too concerned over. Leathers do that periodically.

Brokken Twolf

Brokken Twolf

Yes, I realized this was the incorrect forum, after I had posted (too late to delete).

I'm quite familiar with the 'shedding' process. This is nothing like shedding. This is how I originally described it:
My Toadstool Mushroom has some very small pieces dangling off the edges. It looks as if they have fallen out and left little crevices and are dangling by threads.

I felt like the Trigger had been nipping at it, so I moved it to my 46g.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Teakie

they are dropping new babies... does it look like a "ball" forming on the edge? it will drop and make a new toadstool...

EDIT: forgot to add that my toadstool does it often and now i have baby toadstools popping up all over the place

rockindacheeks

rockindacheeks

YES! Little balls hanging along the edges. OMG, I wonder if my fish will mess with them? Does this happen after they reach a certain age? I'm wondering, because I moved the Toadstool to my 46g (out of my 75), I was afraid my Trigger might be nipping it.

How very cool! Thanks so much for responding. I've probably had it (I want to call it a her now :D) about 2 years.

Should I just leave things be and keep an eye out for little Toads? Will they get eaten? Should I move them? I'm sorry for all the ?'s, but I've never had this happen before.

Thank you again!!!
Teakie :wave:

if they are really close to falling off you can pull them gently and they will come off and you can place them in a cup with some rubble for them to attach to and once attached you can put them somewhere in your tank to grow. idt your trigger will bother them.

They've already fell off, and I've since rearranged the LR to allow for more swimming room. Anyway, next time I'll know what to do.

Thank you, TY, TY!
Teakie :spin1:

Back