Tropic Eden Reeflakes

Riv,

I used the calculator with Jeremy's 80lbs/cu ft recommendation. It confirms what Jason suggested.

I have not taken exact grain size measurements, but I'd say the Reef is around 2.5mm, while the Mini is about 1mm in size. Figure these sands at about 75-80lb cu/ft using the sand bed calculator here on RC.

For my 180
You will need approximately 120pounds of sand
to achieve a 1.5 inch depth in a 72 x 24 inch tank
assuming the sand weighs 80 pounds per cubic foot.

For your 125
You will need approximately 90pounds of sand
to achieve a 1.5 inch depth in a 72 x 18 inch tank
assuming the sand weighs 80 pounds per cubic foot.

Phillip

Thanks phillip that help a lot. I couldnt find the cu/ft for reef flake. Once again thanks ordering it now.

Received my 120lbs today. This stuff is NICE!!!:dance:

Thank You Jason, Jeremy and Michelle. Everybody was great.:thumbsup:

Phillip

We are all out of stock and have discontinued the live Reeflakes. We do have plenty of the Live Miniflakes in stock though.

We are all out of stock and have discontinued the live Reeflakes. We do have plenty of the Live Miniflakes in stock though.

Is there a particular reason you have discontinued these? I've heard really good things and had been planning on ordering.

We only discontinued the live, the dry is still readily available, and will be for sometime. The dry reefflakes is our best selling substrate that we offer.

Question, Im pretty sure im gonna mix the miniflakes and reefflakes as I like the grain size of fiji pink and figure I could mimic that with these two. If I do that how much of each would I need on a 90galRR 48"x18". Looking to get about 2"-3" bed with some highs and lows scattered about. Planning on a mixed reef. Thanks in advance

Add: Whats the deal with Rubbly reef is it still available.

I would probably do a 50/50 mix if you're trying to mimic the Fiji Pink, however I'd a 2:1 ratio of Reefflakes to Miniflakes is what I would prefer for my own preferences of what I would like.

Rubbly Reef is not available right now, I'm sorry.

Thanks very much. I'll be getting my order in very soon. Just waiting for the sampler to come in. So I can take a look.

Do you guys have both reef flakes and mini flake available. For 2-3" bed how many bags mixed 50/50 would I need for a 90 gal. 48"x18"

We do have both in stock right now, available to ship immediately. Doing a 3" bed of those two mixed puts you right at 120lbs, so 4 bags should do it for you. You could do that in a 50/50 mix of each type pretty easily.

Please provide advice on the amount of sand I would need for my 300 DD build. 72 x 36

I performed the calculator and it responded a calculation of 270 pounds. Since the dry reef flake is a bit more course and I assuming that it will have a higher area of space. Wouldn't 270 be a bit too much?? I am thinking to go with 200 lbs and i can always order more. Please advise.

Thank you -

I got the reef flakes and they look great. Won't be wet for a month thought, but I'm anxiously waiting. How do you guys recommend rinsing this before throwing it in the tank? I've seen people use buckets with a running hose, or even stuffed in a pillow case. Just want to avoid a milky tank for 3 weeks, LOL! TIA!

Rinsing Tropic Eden? No need! :)

In all seriousness, there really is no need to rinse this sand at all. It's super clean and will not cloud your tank for more than a day, and even then it's not like your typical cloud you get from other brands of sand.

Back