trouble converting pearlscale butterfly to mysis

Das awesome

I've had my pearlscale for about 4 months now and it's only eating brine shrimp, live blackworms and clam on a half shell, but I really want it to start taking the mysis because i heard brine shrimp don't have a lot of nutrients and I have to drive really far to get black worms. I've been mixing in the mysis with the other foods and it hasn't even picked at them. It just looks at them then swims away to try to find the brine shrimp or worms. Any ideas?

Stop the brine shrimp and cut back the other foods substantially for a couple of days so it gets hungry enough to eat mysis. Keep giving it small amounts of chopped clam so it is eating but has to eat the mysis to fill up.

Are the brine shrimp live or frozen? If live and the blackworms are live and you are feeding live clam, that may be part of the problem - it needs to convert to frozen/prepared foods.

You also could try chopped shrimp and scallop.

Stop the brine shrimp and cut back the other foods substantially for a couple of days so it gets hungry enough to eat mysis. Keep giving it small amounts of chopped clam so it is eating but has to eat the mysis to fill up.

Are the brine shrimp live or frozen? If live and the blackworms are live and you are feeding live clam, that may be part of the problem - it needs to convert to frozen/prepared foods.

You also could try chopped shrimp and scallop.

+1 Given time, every Pearlscale I ever owned eventually ate even flake.

Everything I feed is frozen except for the black worms. I've tried starving it for a few days before but that also meant my other fish didn't get to eat either and because of that, my 7 chromis' started going at it with each other and 3 of them died. I can't really put the pearlscale back in the qt because that tank now has a baby sea goblin that I'm growing out to put in my fowlr.

Fish are like Kids; they know if they hold out----they'll get their favorite. No healthy fish will starve himself, just don't give in. He can go a week or more without eating, won't hurt him at all.

Back