Try again: Is anybody running an algae scrubber as primary filter.

Also, a spawning isn't a catastrophic event by definition, especially if the diversity is there so no one species can blow the system away. And when there are a million little filter mouths, they all get fat that day. But if someone throws a pound of flake food in my system, well then c-ya bye, I'm toast.
Apparently you haven't seen many spawning events in a tank before. I've seen the aftermath of one and I can tell you I'd rather deal with the pound of flake any day.

Yeah, I don't dispute the realm of possibility, but I typically have only seen a jet of something here or there or a bunch of little white dots, and agreed not enough of it to grey the water. I don't have any concentration of any one species or any one huge enough individual (I hope).
I really think I am bulletproof except for my macros crashing, which is still my main concern.

If memory serves it was this one here:

crop0004.jpg

Not really all that large. Just about everything downstream was fried. Like I said, I only saw the aftermath, but it was the equivalent of a forest fire.

wow greg, that is a nice coral. I wonder if there wasn't some chemistry involved to fry everything. especially if it was downstream it probably got it first pass and maybe no filter could have helped because filtering is after the fact. However, if this toxic spawn were quickly filtered out, maybe its effect would be minimized and localized by quick filtering whereas my system could take the big doodoo cya bye stick a fork in it's archives what's that awful smell, route.

I was just totally thinking about nutrient spikes, like if the whole spawn spiked a bacteria bloom or something like a pound of flake food would do.

That really is a nice coral, have you fragged it yet? (by law I have to ask you that :D)

It's not my coral, sorry. And no, I don't have a frag. :D

I'd agree with your assessment. There is a chemical issue to deal with as well as the added nutrients.

This is a case where I'd much rather have the large skimmer to get it out faster, but you are right in saying that it's not going to prevent any damage. You've got a problem either way.

Frick-n-Frags said:
I really think I am bulletproof except for my macros crashing, which is still my main concern.

FnF:

As you probably know, there are macros other than caulerpas that don't crash all at once or at all.

If your nutrients are too low, caulerpa may indead crash, but others would just whither away and die, not creating a massive green spawn.

Chaetomorpha (spaghetti macroalgae) is one that is very popular that grows like crazy in my tank and refuge and even the tang likes it.

mgk

F n F I'm guessing this is a reply to my comment "BTW I haven't watched my, Euphyllias, Blastomussa, Caulastreas, Galaxia, Hydnophoras or Turbinarias die yet" All the corals you listed are easy to get to grow with low feeding, even with no feeding. Try some high food demanding corals (azooxanthellate) and I'll say it again, watch them die with low to no feeding.

I Do

I Do

I have a 46 Gallon Bow front and only use an algae scrubber, and it is doing great. My levels are all at 0, the tank is cristal clear and my fish and inverts are thriving and I have never done a water change. In addition I feed my tank/fis very heavy twics a day and an awefull lot. I got my whole set up from www.eztank.com give the guy a call his name is Mark Renki hell explain the whole process to you. To me it really seems like the best system. E-mail me with any questions JohnMartino@mindspring.com . And if you call Mark tell him that John from Revere, MA said hello

Wow it is May and this thread still hasn't died.

Hi mgk, how are you, good to hear some experience with macros other than Caulerpa. Sounds, very encouraging that I won't necessarily get the big macro crash out leaving me with no filter floss :D
Do you want to swap macros next time we see each other???

Hey Cnidae, now are you saying stony corals can survive with little or no feeding? Make up your mind.:D
You can set the bar as high as you can and then call this experiment a failure. BTW, my chambered nautilus prop experiment didn't work oh, and did i tell you about the Ceolecanth project, never mind, it went as badly as the thermal vent giant tube worms. Wheeeee!, :) really, the whole thing may crash anyway and you will get to ultimately ROTFLYAO, only time will tell.

John, keep me posted on the progress of your reef please. I see that it is a new setup but it seems like it is off to an awesome start. I would be really curious to see how the various things, especially the algae, cycle in and out of your system as time goes on. How much are you cleaning the scrubber plates? How much are you feeding? No in-tank micro blooms of any type???

This sounds similar to Doug Lowey's setup if I am understanding some of the underlying philosophies here. Does it seem that way to you?

FNF:

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago with no reply.

You missed quite a get together in Pittsburgh....

I have plenty of the chaetomorpha when you are ready. I can even send some to you via priority mail.

mgk

I know this thread is very old. I am considering an ATF. I want to know the long term effects. Is everyone still running them?

Hey Kent: Old threads never die, well, who knows but anyway,,,,
What I wanted to mention was that I had a chance to meet the owner of Inland Aquatics this fall, it was he and his partner, a Mr. Adey, who had the patent on algal turf scrubbers Well, the guy I met (can't remember his name right now) was telling me that this winter the ATF may be back available (Bitter lawsuit nearly ruined them both). I've never been back in touch with him but I'm hoping that they are or will be available sometime soon. They were excellent products. As a note, back when I was reading about them, they would clean just about anything you put to them given it was large enough and you took care of the turf. And from what I remember, they don't even have to be that large.
FYI
Randy

well,

ever since i put on my 5 gallon fuge/lsb/algae-grower/scrubber/copepod/amphipod growing factory i have noticed an increase in coraline algae growth, increased coral polyps extension, almost no skimmer guck, increased water clarity and more active fish.

when i did my 10g nano in 1994 (before i think there was a term for 'nano'), i put in caulerpa and it just grew and grew creating all the same tank properties that i mentioned with my present tank.

it appears that it is doing an incredible job. for me, it seems that size doesn't matter. what i think makes the difference is my 65 watts of 6500k pc (loa from costco).

now, the skimmer is on the same timer as the main lights are.

for me, nothing man made even comes close to mother nature.

Hi guys. Good thread. Seems familar to me. :D

Yes, mine is still running. Its on my 225g mixed reef. I was running my Euroreef in the sump also, but its now gone. I,m watching the tank close to see how it does on the scrubber only. My scrubber is the large one Inland use to sell, but my tanks large also. I have a 32in. modified MR3 on standby. :eek2:

This pic of my scrubber, is an old one, running on a sump temporary. It now gets its feed direct from the tank and dumps back into the same.

I've been running a home made ATS, dump bucket, for over a year and a half. My tank is a 100 gal all SPS, packed with corals and quite a few fish. So far I love it. I get geat growth and color out of the corals, and it's easy to maintain. The life in the sand bed, etc is better than any other tank I've ever had. The tank and sump have deep sand beds and I always run carbon. I pull more frags out of the tank than can be sold to the LFS.

I don't follow Adey's system, I use the standard practices found here on Reef central. Ca reactor, drip kalk, carbon and use the ATS for nutrient export, NO SKIMMER. It's been the best system I've ever set up in about 15 years of reef keeping.

could I set up my fuge as an ATS by installing a "screen" just below the high water level, and utilizing a solenoid operated valve on the drain side of the fuge? The drain would have a higher flow rate than my supply pump therefore changing the water level by an inch or so depending on the cycle time setup for the solenoid valve.

Back