Tunze care magnet

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried this one on an acrylic bow front? I'm looking to replace my Mag-float since it has scratched some parts of my tank near the bottom. I've read great things about this one so far, but have not found anything specific to acrylic bow front tanks.

I appreciate your assistance.

I swapped out the blades to the acrylic ones and used it on my 30 gallon acrylic. It's amazing. I've got curved sides and it gets them clean perfectly with no hassle..

Awesome. Thank you for your prompt feedback. I'll get one next week when I pick up my frag glue from Faios.

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried this one on an acrylic bow front? I'm looking to replace my Mag-float since it has scratched some parts of my tank near the bottom. I've read great things about this one so far, but have not found anything specific to acrylic bow front tanks.

I appreciate your assistance.
Just make sure you are using it on a horizontal pattern on the bowed side

I have had great experiences with this product on glass aquariums and miserable experience using it on acryllic. We have even used the metal attachment blade on Starphire glass (which is a bit softer) with no issues. If you have glass, you need not read the following as it won't apply to you. You MUST ONLY use the short blades on acryllic. The longer blade is 30% fiberglass and will scratch acryllic. Just my .02 here: This information is listed in the instruction manual - but buried on page 17. I did not think that I would have to read 17 pages of instructions to learn such a valuable tidbit after using magnets professionally for 18 years and I am really miffed at Tunze for not being more forthcoming about this information. There website appeared to be promptly changed after I logged my complaint with the US distributer. I'm told the newer product manuals have also been edited, but I have not seen the reprint yet.

The second issue I have with this product is that the outside piece is kept off of the surface by 4 relatively thick felt pads, similar to what you put under chair legs to prevent scratching the floor. First, the glue lets go with any moisture and the pads will travel. Second, and more important is the gap that forms allows any metal flecks that may be around to get picked up by the magnet. The gap allows the particle to travel into the felt pads. We had an incident where we inspected the magnets prior to use and they were clean. We cleaned the first panel on a tank without incident, even knocking out some coraline algae at the sandbed quite nicely. There must have been some bits of metal between the cabinet trim and the aquarium, because the second side of one tank started to scratch on the outside. Upon inspection, we found bits of metal imbedded in the felt pads. They were not visible to the naked eye and we only found them by running our fingers over the felt. We have remedied this information by replacing the felt pads with "standard" stick on felt like is used on Magfloat or Magnivore products. Now, there is no room for bits to get under the surface, unless it is used on a curved aquarium. We still find that due to the very slender housing, it will attract any metal bits that are sufficiently close, but with our modified felt, they cannot get under the outside surface now.

My last gripe about these is the cost of blades. Replacements are about $5-6 per set wholesale and we are only getting about 10 uses out of each set. Granted, we are using them to attack some coraline that traditional acryllic tools would not touch and they are seeing extra wear as a result. If your acryllic is not already compromised with coraline, this could be a good tool for you. All of the acryllic tanks we work with are 8-25 years old though and they have age appropriate growth and wear. Many have purple picture frames on the edges where older tools would not reach. I'm hoping that as we clean these edges out, we will get better life out of the blades.

Having said all of that and working out the flaws, these things are fantastic on tall, flat panels. We have a couple tanks that are 48" high with mature SPS growth, so the bottom edge is a nightmare to clean with sticks and magnets don't reach beyond the bottom trim. For these aquariums, the product is exceptionally useful.

Webmanny, please take these comments to heart, especially if you are used to working with conventional flat surfaced magnets. This product could be a real labor saver for you, but take these experiences into account and use it with care. Only operate them in a horizontal motion on curved surfaces. There are some very positive attributes to these magnets, but also some serious considerations if they are being used on acryllic.

TampaSnooker,

I sincerely appreciate the heads up and sharing your experience. I can almost guarantee that I would not have gotten to page 4, let alone page 17 to catch the warning you just provided. I will proceed with caution when using this product.

Thanks again.

That was my problem, too. Yes, of course I should have read past page 10 of the manual. I did get that far, but they are algae magnets, for crying out loud.

Another word of wisdom that a former staff member found out the hard way, regarding any magnet: do not wipe moisture off on the pocket containing your brand new iPhone 6. His two day old phone was wiped clean instantly by a Magnivore 8.:eek1:

That is crazy. Sorry to hear about his IPhone. I'll keep it in mind.

Do you normally leave the magnet in the tank? I was wondering if it was properly sealed.

Heck no!!! We use ours everywhere on the service route. Can you imagine what a customer could do to a tank if they had access to magnets? Very different animal from a hobbyist...
However, the literature says it's OK to leave in tank and from its appearance, it should be. You might get some fouling gunk around the peg that the blades mount to which would make it difficult to remove. Also, if vermetid snails or tube worms grew on it, you'll do far worse damage than iron filings. Ichthyman just posted some robotic tank cleaner on his FB page today. If that is legit, my job just got 200% better...

LOL good point. Just for peace of mind and because I already had an issue with a rusting magnet killing some of my SPS, I think I will take it out once I am done cleaning the tank. I don't want to become one of the many users who lose everything on their tank worth thousands of dollars due to a rusted TLF $5.00 magnet.

is anyone currently using the tunze care magnet long on 1/2 inch glass? Does it have a good grip or should I look at the strong?

How bout the flipper? Is anyone using it on 1/2 inch glass?

I am on the fence between the flipper and tunze, also don't know which size to get. Don't want to spend the extra cash on bigger one if I don't need to.

any insight is appreciated.

I use the long on 1/2 " glass as well and it works well. I have had then separate once or twice while cleaning. I think 1/2" is maxing out the long

is anyone currently using the tunze care magnet long on 1/2 inch glass? Does it have a good grip or should I look at the strong?

How bout the flipper? Is anyone using it on 1/2 inch glass?

I am on the fence between the flipper and tunze, also don't know which size to get. Don't want to spend the extra cash on bigger one if I don't need to.

any insight is appreciated.
Using it on 9/16" glass and it holds pretty well. If you try to rotate to fast to change direction part of it let's go. But technically I should be using the "strong" version.

Back