Tunze nano mod

Per Roger on the "drilling holes" issue, "I am not sure how this would effect the start up. If you intend to start and stop the pump alot it could be a problem, if you will always have it on, it should not be a big issue." I think I will be drilling holes tonight. LOL.

I have had no problems with start up to tell you the truth

i did test that, it did go back and forth, clicking, but it started itself right

one time it didnt rotate at all, i plugged it in, nothing happened for about 2 seconds, then it just started

But cutting this part off the tube wont do any harm. The impellar is completely still inside the tube, so if it shoots forward it will stay in, its not like the whole impellar is exposed, just a tiny bit of the back

and drilling holes will be hard, the way the thign is positioned, honestly youd be much better just cutting off as much as possible

Holes sounds like a good idea, or maybe easier would be to cut slats using a dremel. That way the slats will not be larger than the prop and you will be able to get inside the housing better. You may not get as much extra flow this way though.

well i did a waterchange tonight and i couldnt get the pump going back on its own. This is not really a bad thing, because sometimes the pump would do this before, even before i modded it it wouldnt move, it would just rotate inside very slowly by vibrations

*EDIT*

just had some gunk on the impellar, i cleaned it and it started up perfectly

Last edited:
I cut away a piece of the "tube" with my Dremel tool and cutting wheel. I paralleled the contour of the cover. The flow is definitely improved. I'm impressed.

I've had not starting problems since performing the mod. My noise problem went away when I epoxied the shaft into the hole in the pump.

I was contemplating replacing the 6025 pumps with 6045s, but now I don't see the need.

sorry if this is off topic but how much do the nano's run i cant seem to find them, great mod by the way

thanks

another suggestion for tunze, i found alot of the vibration noise is coming from the back of the ball, where it sits in the mount. If there was some sort of foam, or rubbery pad to go between the mount and the pump it quiets it down sufficiently. I currently have a small piece of foam glued to the back of the pump, and it works great, its only a quiet humm now

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9047720#post9047720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood

My noise problem went away when I epoxied the shaft into the hole in the pump.

Can you explain that in more detail?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9051588#post9051588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rook
Can you explain that in more detail?
My 6025 became noisy when the metal propeller shaft came loose from its mounting hole in the body of the pump. The propeller started to rattle around on the loose shaft.

I used a two-part marine epoxy to glue the shaft firmly into the hole in the pump body. Be sure to center the shaft perfectly. After epoxying the shaft, the noise stopped.

I performed the "nano mod" last night and have to say that the flow in my 55 is now the same as it was in my 30 with 2 6025s. Very pleased with no regrets. I tried to make slits in the tube with a dremel but it was too difficult. I decided to go all the way, and I am happy I did.

I tried to cut slits in mine also, but the flow rate wasn't really increased very much. I finally cut the tube back to the cover. The propellers run perfectly. One even had to reverse itself without problems. The flow rate is phenomenal

Very intrigued by this mod... Going to wait a week or so before I do it myself... Please post if anyone has found a downside after doing the mod... TIA :D

its been about 24 hours, probably had 5+ restarts to test and doing a waterchange and such, no downfall

i tried to superglue the prop bar in place, didnt work to well, didnt silence it

but i found takign a sock, folding it up so 3 sides of the sock are between he glass nad outside magnet it quiets it down, less pressure on glass i guess.

either way it works haha

its still fairly noisy for trying to sleep, and once you like "tune" into the sound it seems like its louder, so if you just try not to pay attention, or listen to music its fine

Back