Two-Parts dosage question

moga

I am trying to dose 2-parts to my 70 gallon tank..

what would be the right dosage ?

Last edited:
Your dosage will be dependent on the items in your tank and also the 2 part solution you plan to use.

If you have more SPS and clams you will need to dose more, if you are mostly softie and LPS you likely will dose less.

Also, make sure you have calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and pH test kits available as well. You may need to dose more heavily in the beginning to get the numbers in the correct ranges.

Can you share with us what you are keeping in the tank?

It is really going to depend on the load in your tank. My 58 is pretty much packed with SPS, so I dose 100 ML of each each night. On the other hand my 33 ( albeit a smaller tank ) has a much lighter load in terms of Cal, and Alk, so I only have to does 33 ML every other day.

Yep, all depends on the uptake of alk/ca from your corals. You should get your levels where you want them based upon the recommended parameters for reef aquaria, testing frequently until the levels have been achieved. Then, wait 24 hours and re-test for alk/ca. That will determine how much alk/ca your tank is taking up. Then use the calculator provided to determine what your daily dosage should be. You should add an equal amount of both parts daily to make up for the loss.

Calculator:
Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Recommended Parameters:
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14990965#post14990965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeweldamsel
2 part sol may be too weak or expensive for sps in terms of KH.

Ummm ...

Two part is perfect for a 70 gallon SPS tank. Not sure where you get this info from.

Of course ... this assumes you are making your own 2 part and not paying for gallons of B-Ionic.

Like the others said ... your info doesn't provide enough info about your corals. Many factors influence usage. Type of coral, size of coral, etc. Read Randy's Improved 2-part article and you will get some good starting points. You will be testing Alk daily and Ca maybe once or twice a week until you get it dialed in.

Good luck. I know people with 300 gallon SPS tanks that have used 2-part for years with success.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14991002#post14991002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
It is really going to depend on the load in your tank. My 58 is pretty much packed with SPS, so I dose 100 ML of each each night. On the other hand my 33 ( albeit a smaller tank ) has a much lighter load in terms of Cal, and Alk, so I only have to does 33 ML every other day.

I thought that you were not supposed to dose more than 1ml per gallon.

I thought that you were not supposed to dose more than 1ml per gallon.

Theoretically, there is no minimum or maximum dosing amounts Impurities or effects on other parameters like PH may limit the amount you can dose, but it will most likely be more than 1ml/gal. Now, 100ml per night sounds like a lot to me (I dose more like 35ml in my 46g), but different supplements have different strengths, and Todd obviously has a heavily stocked tank. The dosing recommendations that come with most store bought supplements are just that, recommendations. Use drummereef's suggestion to determine how much your specific tank needs. It all comes down to trial and error, I'm afraid.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14991971#post14991971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Theoretically, there is no minimum or maximum dosing amounts Impurities or effects on other parameters like PH may limit the amount you can dose, but it will most likely be more than 1ml/gal. Now, 100ml per night sounds like a lot to me (I dose more like 35ml in my 46g), but different supplements have different strengths, and Todd obviously has a heavily stocked tank. The dosing recommendations that come with most store bought supplements are just that, recommendations. Use drummereef's suggestion to determine how much your specific tank needs. It all comes down to trial and error, I'm afraid.

I am using the C-balance two part -- the concentrate that you add RO/DI water too, there is a chance that I am adding too much water, but if I am it isn't all that much more.

Dosing that amount keeps my Cal around 450 and my Alk around 3 meq/l. I don't think I could add another coral, not enough room. :) I have a 10+ inch tabling milli and a 10+ cap that just suck up the Cal and Alk.

I use Kent CB. I add 25ml of each in my 90 daily with lots of SPS, some lps and a few softies. It has volume of 60 gal.

I add 60ml of each in my 175 that has 170 gallons of water in its system and LOTS of SPS.

Ca+ always 450-500 and alk at 3.2

It says to add in the am to avoid PH overshoot in the evening.

Back