Uncured PVC Cement got in water column!!!!

dirtyreefer

Will uncured PVC touching the water column with corals and fish affect them? Or is it only toxic if it's actually swallowed? I've heard of people using glued PVC after about 30 mins of curing time, but if the liquid actually touches the water will it kill everything? I'm talking a pretty small amount, but I'm quite worried!!

Anyone??

i would at least run carbon. Not sure what affect it will have. You may evan want to do a water change and skim wet for awhile just as a precaution.

Thanks, luckily I have the affected water isolated for now, but I'll end up dumping it out. I wasn't sure whether contact with the cement is toxic, or whether it's only toxic if taken internally.

It should be fine. I have not had any issues with a few drips. Now if you dumped the whole container... thats another story.

Carefull now. I read of a person who accidently let a drop of crazy glue get in the tank. One of his fish went to nibble on it and got it's mouth glued shut. The fish died. I'm not sure if PVC cement would do the same, but thought I'd bring it up.

It wouldn't... PVC cement works by disolving the PVC and fusing it into one piece. If you put the cement on something else it would not have a "glue" effect.

What actually happened was I was connecting a piece of PVC w/ball valve to my new skimmer, so when I connected it, water trickled through the pipe into the sump. This was about 5 mins after I glued it.

Since I wasn't sure if it's inert or not on contact with water, I drained my sump (which wasn't alot of work) just to be safe. Alot less work than having to do a bunch of water changes and pulling out dead fish/corals because of some stupid mistake.

Thanks all.

I have it fall in the tank all the time, never had a problem, just take my hand and skim it out off the surface, I just got done plumbing up my 125 and the sump was full of all the fish and rock and corals, and glue fell in repeatedly, nothing died............I did get out the floating glue after it hit, I didnt leave it in there for days....but it was in the water a few minutes before I grabbed it out

If it were me, I'd try to change all of the water over a period of a week or so. There are some strong solvents in PVC cement. Death may not be immediate.

I once had most of my fish die in about a one month period. I traced it back to an episode about 3 weekks earlier when I got gasoline on my hand (I washed it several times with soap and water first) and put it in the tank just briefly. Now I always wear those elbow length gloves in the tank.

There used to be a fish store in town who had cheap prices on fish. I could never figure out why every fish (3 or 4) I'd bought there (and not others) would die about 3 weeks after they were in my tank. Then I found out that they bought from collectors that use cyanide during collection and it takes a period of time for this to kill the fish.

I wouldnt worry at all about it..... I have been dropping PVC glue into tanks accidentally for well over 15 years...it just happens...everything will be fine....dont pour a whole pint in there though, but I wouldnt worry at all..

POLY FILTERS. and carbon. MEK evaporates fairly fast in the air. i would guess it would also disapate fairly fast in water also. ive got a little pvc glue in a few tanks with no direct problems, but if i spilled some in i would put poly filters in fast.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084794#post8084794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
Carefull now. I read of a person who accidently let a drop of crazy glue get in the tank. One of his fish went to nibble on it and got it's mouth glued shut. The fish died. I'm not sure if PVC cement would do the same, but thought I'd bring it up.
Never heard of that, but shoulds plausable.

Back