underwater vid of new baby blue gig

day 8. Forgot to turn on the light this am. Gig seems puffy as ever but still has a slight stringy residue around its foot. Obviously, I havent xfered it yet.
32904838512_31fce658ea_z.jpg

Puffy trying to get as much light as it could from other sources I bet.

It's in the basement so no other source of light. Seems to puff up at night and shrink during the day. My theory is it's not on EST yet :)
Actually, I was thinking the bulb I got was too close and too strong. When I came home from work this evening and realized I had forgotten the lights and it was still puffy, I decided to swap out the lamp for my t5 hood. Seems to like that a lot more. It's been a few hours and it's still puffed up and looking good. Since I'm off tomorrow, maybe I'll stick it in the DT.
You guys have me scared about the tangs. If my purple or red go, I'm gonna cry! They dart in and out of every crevice. There's no safe place unless they realize it's a death trap.

Sorry. Just wanted to warn you. Glad it seems to like the light better now.

Will wait for pictures when you put it in the DT.

As long as it doesn't deflate, you're in good shape. Bleaching is a normal response to both the trip from the ocean to the wholesaler to the LFS to you, as well as the Cipro treatment itself.

My tangs steer clear of my gigs. I've seen one swim a little too close and get stung, but after that it was almost like it knew to keep its distance. Other fish, particularly those without swim bladders, like gobies and hawkfish, tend to wander into nems and get multiple stings. This is far worse than simply brushing up against it.

Once you put the gig into your DT, it may take some time for the zoox to come back. Once it does though, the process from white to brown is relatively quick. Definitely give it lots of light to encourage zoox growth.

It took me what seemed like a very long time to peel from the bowl. Once I did, it kept sticking to my fingers as I tried to place it in its spot. Holy cow that nem is sticky!!! I turned off the pumps so it can settle under the substrate. Once I was able to get away, it seemed to begin settling in nicely. I really hope I didnt damage the foot in any way. I'm going to wait a little while before turning on the power heads. If I need more flow, I can always add another one and point it towards him. Here are the pics from just after placing in DT:
32257369513_e3f1be6163_z.jpg

32916764992_024459f462_z.jpg
[/url]

With the nem at the bottom of the tank surrounded by rocks, it probably won't receive enough flow. Furthermore, the part of the nem that's shaded will remain bleached. Maybe consider moving the zoas from the rock on the far right, and place the gig on the top. Once it grows, it may take up most of that rock. I think it'll look very nice with the nem on top and the ledge underneath.

Yea, gigs need to be up in the rocks. That's why i mentioned putting him up in that crevice on the upper right side. Only haddoni stay down in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the nem at the bottom of the tank surrounded by rocks, it probably won't receive enough flow. Furthermore, the part of the nem that's shaded will remain bleached. Maybe consider moving the zoas from the rock on the far right, and place the gig on the top. Once it grows, it may take up most of that rock. I think it'll look very nice with the nem on top and the ledge underneath.

Yea, gigs need to be up in the rocks. That's why i mentioned putting him up in that crevice on the upper right side. Only haddoni stay down in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with these guys, I'd consider moving it up on the rocks and moving the zoas.

I'd go with more flow. I'd move it up but it will probably move on it's own at some point. Just if you put it in a good spot from the start it probably wouldn't move much on you.

Once it settles in, if it doesn't move up on its own, you may want to consider moving it. I have a friend who has a gig at the bottom of his tank under a ledge, and it's not fully colored up, borderline bleached. He's had it for quite some time so I know it's healthy, but it's definitely not thriving. In other words, unlike BTAs or magnifica that will move to ideal conditions, gigs tend to stay put, even it if means that it doesn't receive the optimum amount of light.

Thought I would post an update on the nem. In spite of everyone's advice to move the nem higher, I still have not. I'm too afraid there will be issues and it seems to be doing ok where it is. Notice the color turning blue! Yippie! I did, however, make a few other changes:
1) angle the kessil light so it's creating less of a shadow.
2) Since getting the nem, I slowly ramped up the lights from 80% to 98%. j
3) Maxed out my powerheads (MP-40 on one side of the tank and Jebao rw-8 on the other) 4) Moved the RW-8 to hit the nem with a little more flow.

In doing #4, looks like I wiped out a red dragon frag. It's bleaching out. It was looking better in color lately but never took off with growth so I'm not all that upset.
32541608764_1f77394da5_b.jpg

Would it be possible to move the rock that is above it? It still looks too shadowed to me. Or maybe rotate the rock it's attatched to so it is out in the light more? I think it would be coloring up more if it was getting better light.

I think it is possible. It's actually 2 rocks (one with zoos and one to the left of it). One of those rocks has a really nice sps that is up against the back glass. Moving either of these 2 rocks is a risky proposition, especially the luck I've had with moving rocks! Having said that, I will likely give it a shot either later today or next weekend.

The nem shrank a lot! The lights were on the dimming side of the cycle but this seems small! Should I be worried?
33555229816_4ef4928419_b.jpg

Back