Upgrade - what to do with my live rock

Dhelseth

I started this new hobby with a 60 gallon cube, bought some live rock from a store, cycled the tank, added fish coral what have you. The live rock looks great and i love the set up but i have had a couple small areas of bubble algae that I've been able to remove pretty easily and vermetid snails which are much harder to deal with.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 120 and i'm looking for opinions on what i should do with this live rock. I was going to get dry rock to supplement the live rock as i moved it over but now i'm worried about the pests that are coming with it. Should i just use some pieces that are clear of both snails and bubble algae to seed the tank? Should i just movie it all cause the pests aren't that bad? Is there a way to quarantine the live rock to make sure its clear of bubble algae before i add it?

Use the good rock to seed. Scrub the other rock of bubble algae in a bucket of saltwater or water removed from a water change.

I wouldn't use any rock with bubble algae to seed the new tank. Vermetid snails in my experience usually go through a huge bloom and then die off leaving their nice little sharp tunnels all over the rock.

You could also move the problematic pieces of rock into a bucket with saltwater and a pump and occlude it from light for a few weeks. Kills off the algae and gives you time to see if the pest population is under control.

Back