Urbanek's 250

August 31st, 2016 - Photo Recap for August of 2016

As I've done in each of the previous months, here is a recap of the photos I took of the aquarium in August. I look forward to any comments or questions folks may have on the tank.

8 Months of Reefing
I've been taking a photo a day of my reef since January 1st. The recaps below are from each month of the year thus far. I hope you enjoy the compilation of images that make up 8 months of my Project 365.

Thanks for looking. Comments and questions are always welcomed.

Petco called. They want their crap tank back....

I mean, wow! What a gorgeous gorgeous tank.

How many hours a week do you have to spend? Any videos of your tank?

Petco called. They want their crap tank back....

I mean, wow! What a gorgeous gorgeous tank.

How many hours a week do you have to spend? Any videos of your tank?

Brett - I would say that I spend about 30 minutes on the tank each day. This includes cleaning the glass, feeding the fish and any other odds and ends that needs to be done. Once a week, I spend about 2 hours which includes my water change and any pump/skimmer/etc maintenance that is due. The tank is otherwise pretty automate for ATO, dosing, etc.

September 4th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been about a week since I last updated the journal so here you go. FTS, FISH, CORAL, FISH, CORAL. Thanks in advance for looking. Views and comments are always appreciated, questions and feedback even more so.

Here is one of the latest FTS taken with only LEDs running. This is how I like to view the tank when I get home in the evenings.

My Starry Blenny - If you don't have one of these go get one. There is not downside to these guys

Blastos - This coral dates back to my original nano cube, I've had it at least 8 years now.

ORA German Blue Digitata

Geo - The Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish

Smiddy was just over repossessing his SPS and told me about your build. Your blasto shot above is now my desktops wallpaper.. TOTM already! What kind of macro lens is that?

Beautiful as always Urbanek! Have you added any new livestock, are there plans to add any new livestock, if so, what's on the list?

Reef keeping is life!

Amazing as always! You should consider starting a thread about how to get photos like this. From how to get the shot to how to get the final image. You're truly skilled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning photo of that blasto!
Thanks for the rundown of your maintenance/dosing.
Curious.. How much acro power and color elements per day?

Smiddy was just over repossessing his SPS and told me about your build. Your blasto shot above is now my desktops wallpaper.. TOTM already! What kind of macro lens is that?

frogg21 - I assume you live up in Flagstaff as well? Glad you liked the Blastos photo. As for TOTM, that would be awesome but don't see that happening. I have a 100mm L series Canon macro lens.

Beautiful as always Urbanek! Have you added any new livestock, are there plans to add any new livestock, if so, what's on the list?

Reef keeping is life!

deaclauderdale - Thanks! I have not added anything since the Starry Blenny. I have a lot of smaller corals that are growing in. I'm not planning on adding new corals anytime soon.

Amazing as always! You should consider starting a thread about how to get photos like this. From how to get the shot to how to get the final image. You're truly skilled!

rs1831 - much appreciated. I've detailed my photography work flow a number of times in the journal. Give it a search. :)

You make this look effortless.
Beautiful as always.

maxxII - Not a lot of effort going into the tank. Clean the glass every couple days, feed the fish a couple times a day, do water changes once a week....

Thanks!

Stunning photo of that blasto!
Thanks for the rundown of your maintenance/dosing.
Curious.. How much acro power and color elements per day?

reefmutt - you are welcome. I dose both acro power and color elements to the instructions on the bottle. Both doses just get divided by 7 and then dosed daily instead of weekly.

Starry Blenny

Starry Blenny

Brad,

That Starry Blenny reminds me of my TRUE pet fish my Starry Blenny. Great fish.

He would sit in your hand once you placed it in the tank

Brad,

That Starry Blenny reminds me of my TRUE pet fish my Starry Blenny. Great fish.

He would sit in your hand once you placed it in the tank

That's an AWESOME fish! You guys have convinced me to look into getting one!

Really great display! I love the deep saturated colors you get and how the LPS is also thriving. That's not easy to pull off.

That is awesome. They eat mostly algae? Are they hardy and can you have more than one in a large tank?

Brad,
That Starry Blenny reminds me of my TRUE pet fish my Starry Blenny. Great fish. He would sit in your hand once you placed it in the tank

Ryan - That is a very cool fish. Mine certainly does not have that much courage. He likes to watch from a far but always has an eye on me. Hope the corals you got from me on Thursday are doing well. Even more so, I hope the wedding was great today! Congrats on that.

Do it!

Really great display! I love the deep saturated colors you get and how the LPS is also thriving. That's not easy to pull off.

Neil - Thanks so much!

That is awesome. They eat mostly algae? Are they hardy and can you have more than one in a large tank?

From what I've read, you don't want to keep more than one unless they are a mated pair. They do seem to graze more than anything else. My actually does a bit of sand sifting which is odd.

I just fell in love with your Geometric Pygmy Perchlet/Hawkfish. Can you tell me anything more about it? Does it bother shrimp, CUC, Small fish?

My jaw dropped when you posted that FTS. I'd going to model my next build after you when I'm older :)

Back