Urbanek's 250

This is one of the most impressive builds I seen. Great job! Totally inspiring.

Got a couple of questions...

* Are you going with different dimensions purely because the space available in the new location?
* You did use carbon when water clarity was questionable. So I guess that you turned on and off your reactor as needed, but still change the media on a schedule basis. Right?

September 26th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been a week since my last update, here are a few recent shots of the tank.

Humilis meets Slimer - My ORA Slimer has made many appearances over the past 9 months but this may be the nicest shot of it yet. I love the color and detail in the slimer and then the contrast to the Purple Humils really makes it pop. Both of these corals are mounted high and get lots of light and flow.

Midnight Stag - What this coral lacks in color, it makes up for in the texture of the skin and rapid growth. I recommend you zoom in to really see the detail in this coral. I have this mounted high in the aquarium, it gets flooded with light and flow.

Deep Water Acro - This is yet another coral given to me by one of our local reefers. It looks a lot like a Myagi Tort to me. I think I have this coral a bit higher than it needs to be. If I were to lower it, I think I could pull more green out of the base.

Cherry Corals - Kick A$$ Horrida - Today's post is of a coral from Cherry Corals. I really wish that I could view this coral in the same fashion as this top down because it's pretty stunning. From the side, you miss all of that polyp goodness.

Here is a post is of my Tri Color which is a bit odd, cause it's not much of 2 colors let alone 3. It's a nice coral all the same, especially viewed top down like this.

Pearl Berry - My favorite of all time

Bio Reef Green Goblin - The greenest of green corals, the Green Goblin from Bio Reef! This is a really cool coral, actually in the anacropora family. It's truly like no other coral that I have.

WOW WOW WOW!!! Your photography and Husbandry is stunning as usual! Thanks for sharing your own little Paradise!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stunning photos as always!
Moving... ouch!! Yes, a new build thread but moving is never fun.
The pearlberry shot is fantastic and I r ally like your 'tri color'. It seems to have more blue than purple. Reminds me of a stubby blueberry wine.
Always deeply enjoyable to drop in on your thread!

September 26th, 2016 - Photo Update

Deep Water Acro - This is yet another coral given to me by one of our local reefers. It looks a lot like a Myagi Tort to me. I think I have this coral a bit higher than it needs to be. If I were to lower it, I think I could pull more green out of the base.

I think someone needs to be a little critical of this huge error sir. This image is pretty soft, I think you missed focus on this shot. Unacceptable :headwalls:

Drop off: i like the sense of depth and to watch fishs going up and down. Also there is the use of a vertical wall to place corals and gorgonias without looking as a "brick wall" at the back of the aquarium.
Finally I'm a diver and enjoy very much the drop offs at sea... :)

Alfrareef - Thanks again for the view comment an opinions on the drop off.

This is one of the most impressive builds I seen. Great job! Totally inspiring.

Got a couple of questions...

* Are you going with different dimensions purely because the space available in the new location?
* You did use carbon when water clarity was questionable. So I guess that you turned on and off your reactor as needed, but still change the media on a schedule basis. Right?

jdantunes - I am going with a smaller tank due to space limitations. I personally think the dimensions of my current tank are outstanding. Long runs for the tangs, shallow for coral and good width for aquascaping.

As for carbon, I will add it in and run it for a couple weeks, then take it out. I will add again and run for a couple weeks at a time when it's needed.

Wow! Beautiful tank!

Bananahands - thanks!

WOW WOW WOW!!! Your photography and Husbandry is stunning as usual! Thanks for sharing your own little Paradise!

RBKKREEF - Thanks so much for the kind words.

Stunning photos as always!
Moving... ouch!! Yes, a new build thread but moving is never fun.
The pearlberry shot is fantastic and I r ally like your 'tri color'. It seems to have more blue than purple. Reminds me of a stubby blueberry wine.
Always deeply enjoyable to drop in on your thread!

reefmutt - Thanks so much.

I think someone needs to be a little critical of this huge error sir. This image is pretty soft, I think you missed focus on this shot. Unacceptable :headwalls:

Ssteve - you are right that photo was not great.

Very impressive.

Your FS thread is tempting (I'm sure I could drive from OK to AZ to get it); I just don't have any place for another 240+ gallon peninsula tank...

What are you feelings on your closed loop? I'm in the design phase for a tank to sit in an alcove in my office, so I'll only have one side viewable and am considering CL to eliminate powerheads since the sides will be impossible and the back would be cumbersome.

Also, do you have any issue dialing in your drain with it at an angle? I have my current drain straight into my sump but am rearranging things such that my drain will now be at an angle similar to yours, and I'm wondering about noise and dialing it in. (I run Herbie, but its similar to beananimal in regards to the tuning)

Thanks

Best of luck on the move to the new house and new build!
Will you post some tear down shots?
Images of the corals coming out of a tank are always amazing as they seem so much larger when out of the water.

Big news of the day is the tank has sold. A very lucky buyer will be picking it up in the next month or so but has agreed to be patient while I sell my house. I look forward to seeing this go to a great new owner and take on the next chapter.

Very impressive.

Your FS thread is tempting (I'm sure I could drive from OK to AZ to get it); I just don't have any place for another 240+ gallon peninsula tank...

What are you feelings on your closed loop? I'm in the design phase for a tank to sit in an alcove in my office, so I'll only have one side viewable and am considering CL to eliminate powerheads since the sides will be impossible and the back would be cumbersome.

Also, do you have any issue dialing in your drain with it at an angle? I have my current drain straight into my sump but am rearranging things such that my drain will now be at an angle similar to yours, and I'm wondering about noise and dialing it in. (I run Herbie, but its similar to beananimal in regards to the tuning)

Thanks

I really like closed loops systems, especially in larger tanks with open channels in the rock work. My closed loop allowed me to add flow in and around my rock work where MP40/60s would not reach.

Just put a nice gate valve on your drain lines so you can dial them in. Don't use ball valves! They will freeze up on you and they don't give you precise control.

Best of luck on the move to the new house and new build!
Will you post some tear down shots?
Images of the corals coming out of a tank are always amazing as they seem so much larger when out of the water.

reefmutt - Thanks for continuing to check in. I will see about getting some shots as the tank is coming down.

You will have to use the move and set up to complete a year of pictures.:)

I don't think I will be doing another Project 365 anytime soon. :)

Indeed! Good point! :thumbsup:

See above :)

October 2nd, 2016 - Photo Update

As I've done at the start of each month, here is a recap of the last 9 months of reefing.
Thanks for looking

Urbaneks,

Just catching up on this thread. I'm really sorry to see this amazing tank go. I hope you will start an equally amazing tank in the future. I will definitely be following along should that happen. Good luck with you move and hope to see a new tank in your future soon.

Cheers,

Chris

i know you have taken down the tank... but hoping you can still answer questions for guidance of those who would like to mimic the set up and try and be successful at it.

1. If you were to do this all over again - would you still do a closed loop set up besides having to run 3 mp pumps?

2. how did you have the returns on the closed loops into the tank? as in - i dont see any pipes or openings in the tank itself - even though i know where the holes are. How did you hide them? Did you cover them with something to prevent any livestock going in there while you may be doing maintenance?

3. I assume the close loop setup was completely seperate than the drain/return plumbing that was going through the sump right?

thanks again for the guidance.

i know you have taken down the tank... but hoping you can still answer questions for guidance of those who would like to mimic the set up and try and be successful at it.

1. If you were to do this all over again - would you still do a closed loop set up besides having to run 3 mp pumps?

2. how did you have the returns on the closed loops into the tank? as in - i dont see any pipes or openings in the tank itself - even though i know where the holes are. How did you hide them? Did you cover them with something to prevent any livestock going in there while you may be doing maintenance?

3. I assume the close loop setup was completely seperate than the drain/return plumbing that was going through the sump right?

thanks again for the guidance.

Thanks for the response. See below

1. Absolutely. I'm a firm believer in lots of flow but that does not mean really strong one directional flow. I'd rather have lots of low level flow from multiple spots in the tank.

2. All of the closed loop plumping was stashed away in the rock work. Nothing was done to prevent live stock from entering the closed loop when it was off. I rarely turned my closed loop off, but I think that risk is minimal.

3. Yes, it's just as it sounds, a closed loop. A separate pump with drains at the bottom of the tank that go directly to the pump, and returns that are also connected directly to the pump and at the bottom of the tank. All are sealed so there are no places for water to be lost from the closed loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back