Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

Yeah, I've been using kalk past. It works best I think. I did order a laser but I'm not expecting to get rid of these things. I have a vermetid kit like you said squishing them. I know it's one of those things where I will just have to control them. A part of my strategy is trying to get various encrusting corals to cover rocks. I plan to use the laser by hitting single polyps of cloves here and there and some verms that aren't easily reachable but visible.
I use for verms a regular pair of tweezers and a big forcep type bent tip scissor pliers.
I had vermetids in my last tank and really thought I made an effort to QT /dip for these things and they still slipped through. In a big tank it's nearly impossible to get them all once they're in there.

Yeah, kalk paste is a pain. It always seems to go where I don't want it! I am using your plan of growing encrusting coral to cover the Vermitids, and it's going ok. Some just build longer tubes, but since they are encrusted, it looks sort of cool.
You got a laser? Cool! Where did you get it? You didn't order from Wicked Laser I hope. They are a rip off. I hope you enjoy Lasing. The first week or two is addicting. You will be Lasing everything in sight! Personally, I prefer to wait until after the fish go to sleep. That way it's a little safer. Be aware of where the laser is reflecting, as you use it. Don't want to blind any fish sleeping in bolt holes.
Good luck. Looking forward to hearing your experiences and opinion!

Seafish, I also purchased a Wicked Laser, only to learn there is no way to adjust the beam. The company would not help, and no one else sold anything that would fit. I asked around some laser sites where people are super into lasers and building their own, and no one was able to build a lens for it so it could be adjusted and used. Sorry. I did post here about what a rip off that purchase was. I was very angry, as you probably are. You could keep asking around the laser sites. Maybe someone there can help? If you find someone, please let me know!

I have a 5ML syringe (can't remember where I got it ) that has a pointy tip. The opening is probably 1-2mm. It works great for kalk. As long as I don't touch the kalk with my finger it usually sticks. I turn off all pumps for a while. There are a few places like upside downs, pointy ledges where I have to use my finger to try to get it to stay on and sometimes it still won't stay. Also I find using a whole lot more than necessary in some places helps it stay put. Of course you have to get the right consistency too.. about like toothpaste works. I use a mirror too because there's always some lurking behind that you can't see.

I got my 2watt 2,000 mw from big laser.com it was $300 and I got it for astonimy purposes. But you can get them fully assembled but ship times are long. Check lucky laser as well. Any ways went to this site to research on how to get ride of these things so here I got laser glasses on and batteries charged. I will post in a few with results.

From what I have read these guys make some of the best lasers on the market. http://www.laserto.com/ Not the cheapest but from all the forums and research I did we I was buying them they seemed to have the best quality and try to the power advertised. My laser did work but it took a bit and had to turn the lights out in the tank for it to kill what it was pointing at and had to keep the beem in one place for a good amount of time.

I'd sell you mine. They are only a temporary fix. If you can get the laser light into the hole where the anemone foot is attached, you can kill it for good. I find this happens about 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time you can't burn the entire anemone out of the hole and in 3-5 days they grow back.

If you want to spend $200 to $300 on a laser, be my guest. I use my as a signal device on my boat, works as good as a flare at night. But for killing aptasia, it's just not worth it. I've had both a 2w and a 2.8w and I wish I had the money back!

BTW, do a search to go back and see who started this whole trend with lasers (before the start of this thread). Hint, his RC screen name initials are 'RR'.

Thanks i just went ahead and got 60 nudibranch $695.40 hope they do the job this time round since all my peppermints are gown. I think the monsters might of started eating them they only lasted for a month and vanished ? The peppermints were tank raised and supost to been the best. So im hopping the nutibanches will get the ones in the hole and the laser will get the rest.

Stepped it up to a 3 watt unit. Works much better. NOT a toy....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kVcOwYOBXOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stepped it up to a 3 watt unit. Works much better. NOT a toy....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kVcOwYOBXOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glad you consider it a 'toy' and not a 'tool'. If you have a real aiptasia infestation it won't kill enough to make a serious difference. And damaging the same aiptasia over and over and over gets old pretty quick.

BTW, the power is less important than the ability to get the laser beam into the hole and destroy the ENTIRE aiptasia. It will be about 50% effective in the long run and probably end up sitting on a shelf at some point along with a Majano Wand.

Glad you consider it a 'toy' and not a 'tool'. If you have a real aiptasia infestation it won't kill enough to make a serious difference. And damaging the same aiptasia over and over and over gets old pretty quick.

BTW, the power is less important than the ability to get the laser beam into the hole and destroy the ENTIRE aiptasia. It will be about 50% effective in the long run and probably end up sitting on a shelf at some point along with a Majano Wand.
Mine sits on a shelf. I bought it to fight blue cloves. The main problem is spending the time/getting places you can't see and the batteries. It's an impossible task.

Anyone try this on monti eating nudis? They're white but they're small and thin so I hope this can burn them.

My wrasses hunt by day and they things only come out by night.

Anyone try this on monti eating nudis? They're white but they're small and thin so I hope this can burn them.

My wrasses hunt by day and they things only come out by night.

I killed bristle worms with mine so it will probably work for nudis.
Be careful though, seriously. The laser can reflect off of the glass inside the tank and kill or blind sleeping fish without you realizing it's even happening. Always be aware of what is behind what you are aiming at and always try to aim straight into the tank, not in at an angle. This will help keep the laser light from bouncing too much.

You have a gun with bullets tend to skim in an uncontrolled way. Do you really want to use it? Then use it under controlled conditions, kill whatever you want in a seperate place, preferably in a non-reflective container. You people are testing and using such a dangerous weapon in urban areas (the aquarium). Do not want to read another story about how it killed or wounded other innocent animals, or even worse... For me, this is a gun. Not a tool. A gun without even minimal safety features, like stopping working at positive angles (pointed upwards) etc..
Just my two cents..

Back