UV sterilizer pros and cons?

Speaking of recent experience, only use for a UV IMO is for cloudy water (got rid of mine in 4 hours!) if you want parasite control then QT or ozone (controlled and with caution).

Apparently if you run ULNS then UV and ULNS do not mix, so use in emergencies only.

can u use a uv on a reef tank would it kill my coral; i mean uv sterilizer uint

You can use a UV sterilizer on a reef tank but make sure the water flowing throught it does so slowly, as per the manufacturer's instructions/ratings. The longer the contact time of the water with the light from the UV, the more effective the unit:fish2:

i run the 40 watt Aqua UV light and here is the secs on it. As far as slow flow it recommends to not go above 2900 GPH, i have about 1000GH running through it.

As a sterilizer: Maximum flow rate: 2900 GPH. 1200-2000 Gallons size.

As a clarifier: Maximum flow rate: 3000 GPH, up to 6000 Gallons size which may require 50% to 75% plant coverage.

I agree with Cliff and Wooden Reefer

As far as this goes

Here it is. I no longer enter the debate of how useful UV sterilization can be in an aquarium. I throw up this link and let the reader decide.

I do not know how you are reading that, as that is for pathogenic bacteria and fungus and says nothing about ecotparasites, nor do any of his comments or cited refs. As Cliff pointed out, you need 280,000 μWs/cm² for "ick" and this is backed up by the work of Escobal, who also gives full blown equations on amount of UV for Zap dosage, wattage, flow rate, dwell time, depth dissipation etc. and Zap Rates for many organisms.

UV's for us do 3 things.

1. Reduce the bacterial count of the water column, which corals and filter feeders NEED to feed off of. They will kill off much of your plankton count. They are fine for a FOT and not a good idea for reef tanks.

2. Reduce and often greatly help, even cure taking care of "Green Water" issues and killing off white clouded bacterial explosions.

3. Certain ones will add a wee-tad of ozone to the system.

And that is it ;) I see them as a disadvantage in a reef tank, other than # 2, when and if needed.

For what its worth, I have used UV in previous years, but, in the last 8 or so, I only have it as a back-up for Oodinium outbreaks, which are extremely rare for me (one in the last 8 years!). Otherwise, the UV kills most of the beneficial bacteria in the water column. Not good for a reef. It seems to be uneffective for cryptocaryon (ich) and, indeed, when I tried it out for this disease on a bacterial-driven system, the situation just got worse. After disconnecting the UV and replenishing the bacteria, my fish recovered on their own. My moment of panic, which lead nowhere good!

In essence, I think good husbandry is at the top of the list. UV is just a bandaid for a problem that shouldn't exist in a well run system. Yes, we all make mistakes and have a few disease mishaps, but a well maintained tank certainly works proactive. I would put UV at the bottom of my 'curative' list. Along with the poisonous chemicals, that we, also, shouldn't be using.....but sometime do!

For what its worth, I have used UV in previous years, but, in the last 8 or so, I only have it as a back-up for Oodinium outbreaks, which are extremely rare for me (one in the last 8 years!). Otherwise, the UV kills most of the beneficial bacteria in the water column. Not good for a reef. It seems to be uneffective for cryptocaryon (ich) and, indeed, when I tried it out for this disease on a bacterial-driven system, the situation just got worse. After disconnecting the UV and replenishing the bacteria, my fish recovered on their own. My moment of panic, which lead nowhere good!

In essence, I think good husbandry is at the top of the list. UV is just a bandaid for a problem that shouldn't exist in a well run system. Yes, we all make mistakes and have a few disease mishaps, but a well maintained tank certainly works proactive. I would put UV at the bottom of my 'curative' list. Along with the poisonous chemicals, that we, also, shouldn't be using.....but sometime do!

I agree with Cliff and Wooden Reefer

As far as this goes

Here it is. I no longer enter the debate of how useful UV sterilization can be in an aquarium. I throw up this link and let the reader decide.

I do not know how you are reading that, as that is for pathogenic bacteria and fungus and says nothing about ecotparasites, nor do any of his comments or cited refs. As Cliff pointed out, you need 280,000 μWs/cm² for "ick" and this is backed up by the work of Escobal, who also gives full blown equations on amount of UV for Zap dosage, wattage, flow rate, dwell time, depth dissipation etc. and Zap Rates for many organisms.

UV's for us do 3 things.

1. Reduce the bacterial count of the water column, which corals and filter feeders NEED to feed off of. They will kill off much of your plankton count. They are fine for a FOT and not a good idea for reef tanks.

2. Reduce and often greatly help, even cure taking care of "Green Water" issues and killing off white clouded bacterial explosions.

3. Certain ones will add a wee-tad of ozone to the system.

And that is it ;) I see them as a disadvantage in a reef tank, other than # 2, when and if needed.

For #2 I find a bucks worth of Seachems Stabilizer will do the trick on white clouded bacteria explosions just as effective as a uv and sometimes faster;)

No, it is really not a "chemical" but you are adding bacteria to get rid of bacteria. How does that make any real sense :) And it is Seachem Stability> it is for new tanks to potentially stop any sudden deaths from "new tank syndrome", which is usually ammonia related. An it is competing with your bacteria, in a established system and I do not really care for such products, not that they do not work.

Well, add me to the "pro" column. After battling algea in the water column in a recently set up tank I decided to try a UV sterilizer.

All I can say is...WOW!!! My water got so clear in about 2 days (90g display, 20g sump) that I am upset I did not try this years and years ago, having seen this problem a few times in past tanks as well. The water is now so clear I cannot even tell there is water in the tank except for the movements of the inhabitants and small particles in the water.

JBJ Submariner 13W unit...integrated pump...just drop it in the tank/sump right out of the box (just make sure the quartz shield is tight).

To extend lamp life (which is claimed to be 8000 hours) I will likely now just run this when the main lights are on now that the water is clear, or maybe even just take it offline until I have the problem again.

I am a believer...

-Hilgert

The UV units are very handy for phytoplankton blooms. They might help with clearer water in other cases, but I haven't seen proof of that. I don't see any other value to them, personally. They won't do any harm, unless they leak or otherwise fail. :) There are very few beneficial bacteria in the water column, as far as anyone can tell.

The UV units are very handy for phytoplankton blooms. They might help with clearer water in other cases, but I haven't seen proof of that. I don't see any other value to them, personally. They won't do any harm, unless they leak or otherwise fail. :) There are very few beneficial bacteria in the water column, as far as anyone can tell.

I agree that there are few beneficial bacteria in the water column.
Bertoni, is there any evidence that they can remove parasites. ( I realize they can't remove the eggs or cysts)

Even large one-celled organisms like marine ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) are too large to be killed or slowed down by any reasonable-sized UV unit.

Well, for my phytoplankton bloom it has certainly made be a believer...I won't be without one any more. I might end up not running it unless necessary if there is no other benefit.

I am still running it now, and my water seems to get more clear by the day (could be my imagination :lol:). Once it tops out I will take it offline for a few weeks and see what happens.

-Hilgert

Alittle off topic but does anyone know at what point will UV kill bacteria?
Would 40,000 columns(μw/cm²) be enough?

Back