Very Sad. Bye Bye Squammie

Wait, before snails etc cleaned the inside? Or after?

you can leave it outside and have the bugs get to it( its winter now so this might not work) once the flesh is gone I would put in in bleach and have it sit there for a couple of days and boom you have a clean white clam shell.

Well, I have been waiting. And watching. When I first posted this, the clam was retracted halfway down the inside of the shell.

It stayed that way several days.

I did nothing but prepare to remove it.

Then I began turkey-baste-blasting Rod's and ArctiPods at it. Once a day.

Then every 2-3 days when normally feed arod's.

It gradually, gradually started to re-open. Wrinkled/pinched mantle all around.

By maybe two weeks ago parts of the mantle were past the shell. One corner (closest to front right of tank, even when turned clam around) was widely stretched/folded inward. Stayed this way for couple weeks.

Now, I'd say clam 90% opened, that one corner just barely folded. Couple spots slightly wrinkled/pinched.

Watch it die now....

Yep. That did it. Now back to where it was when I first posted. Bought DT's. Squirted some at it. But ***? :blown:

Gone. Woke up to see giant conch feasting away (shocked cukes and stars not there). In a bucket of bleach now. Scraped the flesh away first.

Now clam-less. Will remain so until at least May or June before trying again. First time in 10yrs my tanks without clams.

No idea what has been killing them but perhaps time without will fix whatever it is...

I think Joel forgot this post...The clam was came back (not dead) when I met him last Saturday...
Good for you Joel. It's a beauty clam.

Back