Very sick tang - Small Bristle tooth

juliersavage

Feeling desperate- removed from main tank and put in quarantine- had labored breathing - not eating and hiding under ledge. Called fish store purchased at and went with Prazipro 24 hours ago. Made it through night but at bottom of tank on side still breathing. Hard time getting photos but just got these. Can anyone identify or make suggestion.

Attachments

• 20240313_164128.jpg
    20240313_164128.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240313_164115.jpg
    20240313_164115.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
face/gills area looks really red, that normally means ammonia or toxic poisoning. how old is the tank and is it cycled?

Pulled him from main tank. Its 9-10 mos old and doing really well. I have a lot of fish and corals. Didn't have a lot of options. My qt tank hasn't cycled yet but I didn't want to dose my main tank with antibiotics or get anything else sick. Amonia was zero in qt but followed directions on bottle of prazipro and did very large waterr change and then dosed. Amonia was still reading zero 5 hours agoI read Prazipro can cause issues. My only other option is to put him back in my main tank in a confinement box.

Pulled him from main tank. Its 9-10 mos old and doing really well. I have a lot of fish and corals. Didn't have a lot of options. My qt tank hasn't cycled yet but I didn't want to dose my main tank with antibiotics or get anything else sick. Amonia was zero in qt but followed directions on bottle of prazipro and did very large waterr change and then dosed. Amonia was still reading zero 5 hours agoI read Prazipro can cause issues. My only other option is to put him back in my main tank in a confinement box.
It's Sat and I assume there has been some progress, either positive or negative.

A QT can be started (cycled) fairly quickly using bottled active nitrifying bacteria sold by many fish stores and online.

The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. When using this medication it is very important to aearate the water with one or more airstones. I like to use one airstone per 30 gallons of water. You'll find that multiple doses of Prazipro ends up just feeding the increasing numbers of bacteria that live off of it, rather than helping the fish. Nonetheless I don't think this fish has worms. (Prazipro is an anthelmintic medication).

Not much history is given for this fish so I can't help much.

It's Sat and I assume there has been some progress, either positive or negative.

A QT can be started (cycled) fairly quickly using bottled active nitrifying bacteria sold by many fish stores and online.

The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. When using this medication it is very important to aearate the water with one or more airstones. I like to use one airstone per 30 gallons of water. You'll find that multiple doses of Prazipro ends up just feeding the increasing numbers of bacteria that live off of it, rather than helping the fish. Nonetheless I don't think this fish has worms. (Prazipro is an anthelmintic medication).

I really appreciate your time and experience. Sorry I am just responding. After seeing your post regarding depleted oxygen I immeditely added an additional airsone and increased surface agitation. He didn't make it through the night, and it was a sad experience. I had called the store I purchased him from and went with the medication they suggested. It was a wrong call. I couldn't undo it in time. Moving forward I am now plugged into this site and will seek more advise before I take action. Thanks so much again for taking time to help.

I really appreciate your time and experience. Sorry I am just responding. After seeing your post regarding depleted oxygen I immeditely added an additional airsone and increased surface agitation. He didn't make it through the night, and it was a sad experience. I had called the store I purchased him from and went with the medication they suggested. It was a wrong call. I couldn't undo it in time. Moving forward I am now plugged into this site and will seek more advise before I take action. Thanks so much again for taking time to help.
Sorry for the loss. I've lost enough fish in my 45+ years in the hobby and know the feeling. Don't be discouraged. Marine fish keeping is truly an enjoyable experience.

Back