Vinegar and vodka?

rawrpk

Are there benefits to adding both at the same time, for a carbon source?
As opposed to just one or the other?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

I've read and think I grasp it.. and am currently using vinegar

I guess better question would be to anyone who has experience using this method noticed benefits from both

Last edited:
vinegar should be all you need, if you see your phosphates rising , either add more vinegar or use GFO

Some use both as I have read that each drives a certain bacteria.. To many threads on this!!! Also some favor vinegar better than vodka as it will cause cyano at times.. Vodka is strong and can cause more harm than good if not done right..

I also have an excel spreadsheet that is easy to use but don't know how to post it here :confused: someone that knows how please send me a PM so it can be posted here for info

Make sure you have a powerful skimmer and you have an accurate test ket to test NO3 & phosphate

I've also been toying with starting this... or I've heard that adding bio pellets is an easier implementation of adding a carbon source.

I'd do vinegar before messing with biopellets. Biopellets can destroy your whole system if something goes wrong. You are a little more in control with vinegar.

I've also been toying with starting this... or I've heard that adding bio pellets is an easier implementation of adding a carbon source.

Bio pellets if used with the correct reactor and you want to spend $300 its well worth it
... But these other reactors will give you a headache trying to tweak it and corals dyeing while trying.. Not good!! Stick with the old ways ;)

I'd do vinegar before messing with biopellets. Biopellets can destroy your whole system if something goes wrong. You are a little more in control with vinegar.

+1 A doser will keep it an check.. Easy to control!!!

my tank crashed using bio pellets, I gave my bio pellet reactor away & went with vinegar, almost everyone I know that used a bio pellet reactor, had there tank crash , after 1 year ish

This is all really good to know. I haven't dug deep into this topic yet since I'm just getting my tank going again. It looks like vinegar will be the direction I research once I get that far!

Bio - kill your tank at no time.
Vodka - shock your coral at no time too.
Most of reefers now go with vinegar.

Last edited:
I would only go with biopellets if you plan to have a decent fish load and feed a lot. Also these feedings have to be constant, like an auto feeder. In my opinion feeding inconsistently will cause ur bacterial growth to be inconsistent thereby your dissolved nutrients shift too much for coral comfort.

Would there b a max on how much carbon you add to the system?

I add thru my kalk top off. Started at 15 ml per gallon w ~2.5 tsp lime and will continue slowly ramping up until...

Would there b a max on how much carbon you add to the system?

I add thru my kalk top off. Started at 15 ml per gallon w ~2.5 tsp lime and will continue slowly ramping up until...

Your max will be once you reach "0" and will have to cut in half.. Now dosing via ATO Im not sure as I dose directly..

Never tried either, anyone try using sugar?

I always wanted to know someone local using sugar... But people have reported softies having issues using sugar..

Just curious as to why everyone thinks the bio pellets crashed there tank ?
What exactly happened ?

I'm a pellet use and have been for about 2 years now. I think some people have issues with pellets because they add their maximum volume at one time as opposed to building up like you'd do with a liquid carbon source. I feel I had good success because I dosed vodka and went straight to pellets.

I'm a pellet use and have been for about 2 years now. I think some people have issues with pellets because they add their maximum volume at one time as opposed to building up like you'd do with a liquid carbon source. I feel I had good success because I dosed vodka and went straight to pellets.

Thanks for the response Mike.

That's kinda how I feel as well, I've been running them on my tank as well, with no problems.
I see so many people filling the reactor to the top and have a ton of flow going through them to keep the pellets moving, and not realizing that they are stripping the tank.

By the way, sorry about posting in the club forum. I just realized it. :p

Back