Vodka to Zeo

JustinReef

I have been dosing vodka for a few months again now (successfully) but want to start Zeo. Is there anything I should watch out for with stopping Vodka and starting with zeo?

Can I just start the zeo like you normally would?

I am just starting with the reactor and 3 basics.

Thanks!

Genetics

Hands deep in water
Team RC
Premium Member
Depending on how far zeo you plan to go on your first day, my guess would be that you may want to cut back on vodka a bit or more. If you are going with zeolites I would cut vodka in half. If you are going to start adding there products, then I would surmise using half there recommendation and half vodka for a few days. If you are using both zeolites and additives only add 25% vodka and 50% zeo additives. That would be were I would start.

JustinReef

Thanks...I am a bit confused though.

Is this advice based on continued vodka dosing?

The point of starting zeo was to "replace" vodka dosing. It should theoretically do the same thing and a lot more. Although I don't exactly know what vodka is doing to my tank long term...

I am getting way too uneasy about vodka dosing even though it seems to be working ok right now. The reason for starting was I have a very high bioload. It was suggested to me right away to start zeo (good with high bioload) but instead I thought I would try vodka dosing again (failed the first time) to keep my nitrates down.

So I am unsure about how to transition. Part of me still doesn't want to stop with the vodka and saving money by NOT running zeo would be nice...

JustinReef

Maybe I should ask peoples opinion...although I know where this could go!

Is there that much of an advantage to running Zeo to achieve low nutrients over dosing vodka to achieve low nutrients. I understand they are not quite doing the same thing but my reason behind both are the same. I want to keep nitrates down.

I know I am going to get the usual answer to find the problem...I know the problem...I have too many fish, love them all (none are going) and I love to feed them. I do weekly water changes, have a decent skimmer (bubblemaster), good flow, minimal rockwork in the display to collect detritus, ect., ect.

The real solution is to get rid of some fish but I am not willing to do that. Or feed them less but again, I am a sucker for their begging!

Right now nitrates are anywhere from between 5-15. Usually right around 10ppm. My sps have great polyp extention, decent color (although not great) and grow relatively fast. I know if would be better without the nitrates though.

Phosphates are not an issue. I have no algae growing anywhere and they test at 0. Even my chaeto does not grow. I have no idea why phosphates have been undetectable in both tests and bad algae in the tank but they have. I guess I am just lucky. Literally not a spot of algae growing on rocks. I have a feeling it has to do with my kalk dosing.

Anyways, perhaps I should think about this a bit more. I am not going to start the zeo today and can still return everything as its not opened.

I guess I am no the fence!

Genetics

Hands deep in water
Team RC
Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138558#post14138558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinpsmith

The point of starting zeo was to "replace" vodka dosing. It should theoretically do the same thing and a lot more. Although I don't exactly know what vodka is doing to my tank long term...

You asked how one may go about transitioning. I gave you were I would start on transitioning. As for stopping vodka, I would phase out the vodka within a week or so while the zeo products start to kick in by ramping up the zeo and ramping down the vodka.

JustinReef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138758#post14138758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
You asked how one may go about transitioning. I gave you were I would start on transitioning. As for stopping vodka, I would phase out the vodka within a week or so while the zeo products start to kick in by ramping up the zeo and ramping down the vodka.

Yes I guess I misunderstood your initial answer. Thanks.

reef_doug

Premium Member
I use ZEO but never tried vodka (at least for my tank :twitch: )

I know with ZEO Start2 it contains different carbon sources that feed the various bacteria strains in their ZEObak.

It was explained to me that one feeds off the other, a daisy-chain like effect.

I believe vodka is only one carbon source.

The ZEOFood7 is a mixture of carbon sources & amino acids.

Probably some better answers in the Zeo forum.