Warning to All Joliet /Plainfield area Reefers...

Crazy One

Moved On
I'm letting everyone know that our area of Joliet/Plainfield township is having major water problems going on right now.
I tested tonight right out of the faucet and came up with high ammonia levels .50 ppm to 1.0 ppm.
I have spent countless hours and many late nights trying to figure out what I was doing wrong come to find out it wasn't my fault in the first place. My ammonia levels in my tank were in the 4.0 ppm range and climbing, I was thinking my live rock had died off and was starting to recycle again. SO I had no choice but to go to petco and buy 30 gallons of marine water allready made up and get this under control, after all said and done I have cut the ammonia level in half , I will do another change this weekend with R.O. from the LFS.
So with it being said, I hope everyone checks their water before you go through what I just did.
Couln't see loosing 1k in fish over something stupid.
NOW I'm going to the next committee meeting with some recipts of my dead animals for some reimbursment!!! All I can say is all hell is going to break loose!!

I had contacted our so called water department organization ...what a joke!! I asked him what in the heck was going on with the water? I told him not only did it smell and my ammonia levels in my fish tank were off the scale...like 4.0 ppm + but it was also turning brown right out of the tap.
He proceeds to tell me "nothing is wrong" with the water and that they had tested it themselves, but in the same sentence told me that they sent off samples to the lab and was waiting for the results. hmmmmm whats going on for real? 4 days later
Do you think I recieved a call back ? HE** NO!!!
For the safety of our community and heath of our pets and well being of our children I do believe that we deserve an explaination of what and when this stuff happens, especially if we are the ones paying for it !!! The water seems to be normal again but I'm not going to try and use it again for my tank. I seen an outside spicket down the street draining. I'm sure they were flushing out the system.

It will cost me double if not triple to maintain my saltwater hobby due to the fact I will not even think about using my RO unit to this tap again. I will go somewhere and buy it already made even if it requires me to keep going to Petco for the mixed marine saltwater.
I'm still wondering whos responsible for my fish and corals that I lost during this event?
Tell me if I'm wrong but what would you do if you were in my situation ?
Did I mention that I don't even let my dog drink the water that comes out of the tap?

Yes I was using the ro unit with new cartridges but for some reason it still was giving me a wrong ammonia reading.
I was even adding Prime to the water after I mixed each 5 gallons at at time.
I'm going to test the water out of the tap tonight and see if anything strange is still happening.

Back