Washing filter socks

And I do not want bristleworms or shells in my grundies! I just wash them alone with bleach and an extra rinse. I usually put the wash machine thru a clean cycle first. Not after mind you. Before my precious aquarium stuff goes in. I don't want that yucky clean detergent stuff messing up my tank. LOL

I'm sensing I may have started a movement! lol

The larger RV supply and sales places have them. There are several styles including one that uses no electricity, you turn a handle.

What I wish I had was the ringer/washer my grandmother used up until she passed in 1982.

I don't always use them, but when I need them, I rinse inside out,wash on sanitary cycle with bleach, air dry for 2 or 3 days.

I'm scared of using bleach at all, I wiped out a freshwater aquarium years ago cleaning with bleach. I guess I'm gunshy now.

As an aside, could a filter sock be used to seed a new tank? Like if I got one from my friend and then put it into my sump of my new tank for a day or so?

I just hand wash them.
hot rinse > warm scrub > overnight in 10% bleach > warm scrub > several hot rinses > splash of prime > hang dry

We used to be poor enough to need to do stuff like that with our clothes sometimes so it's nbd to do it for this. Now that I'm not poor it still feels weird to run a whole load of wash for a couple fish tank socks. Plus my apartment washers run on quarters so...

I am on the camp of using hydrogen peroxide. I buy the pool strength stuff....my socks come out super clean and I never have to worry about bleach residue. It's a bit expensive but I am ok with that. You need to use caution with that stuff.....gloves and goggles.

I recently tried calcium hyperchoride powder since I was curious to see how it would work. I will report back.

Last edited:
Back