Water Change station remodel

rogergolf66

im an addict lol
well having a baby takes more time then I remember. I guess its cause im getting old :(. any ways my tanks have suffered major losses :( I have had a lot of trouble keeping up with water changes. for this reason I have decided to change my water change station to something a bit for hands free. because of my lack of time I have tried to post a couple times and can never seem to even have enough time to finish making the post. so if this happens again I will post it early and add pictures later on :)

I picked up two 90 gallon vertical poly tanks from Glenn industries in Clearwater area. if you need anything like this he is the man to see. it ended up being cheaper then online by a lot and he installed my bulkheads and even came up with a solution to a couple of my problems and installed everything I needed to meet my goals.

Old setup. my garage is a mess :( by the way. the barrels and stand will be given away to a reefer who needs them after I am done setting up the new ones. this has worked fine for me for 2 years.

new vertical poly storage tanks that will be used

Glenn added a larger lid on one of them to make it easier to add the salt into the container. you can also see he added 5 fittings for the 1/4" tubing that I will need running to the tanks. the RO container has 3. one for auto top off to the sump, and second one for an airline that I can use to keep the water from getting stagnant for to long. and the 3rd one to feed from the RODI unit . the salt water container has 2. one for air pump same reason as first. second will be for the autowater changer. I believe it changes out water 150 times a day if I remember correctly. I am planning on having It change out 90 gal per month. the changer pulls out equal amounts of water from the sump as it is adding new saltwater back to the tank. the water level in the sump will never change.

the very poorly sketched out plan. everything will be mounted on one board on the wall not 3 as pictured. I will be building a stand Im thinking 15" tall. this will allow a 5 gal bucket to fit under if ever needed but everything will be automated so shouldn't ever need to run a hose or carry a bucket!!!

Last edited:
Thx. Now I just need time to work on it. I was planning on picking up wood materials yesterday but time didn't allow it :( maybe Monday or Tuesday

ok I finally had an hour to my self today!!!

I got the frame built for the 2 main barrels. all 2x6 PT. this thing is solid. built with all 3 in screws and I made it so all the weight is being held from the wood not the screws :)

I will be adding 3/4 inch plywood on the top and 3 sides. here are a couple pics. I have to get time to skin it now :)

after looking at the pictures I think I will add another vertical support between the top and bottom frame on the short side. 4 total. 2 on each side. it will just be the spacer between the frames not another entire leg. I will feel better then.

FYI;

I trying to say this in a gentle way, but I see no other way.
I need to mention this so people know.

Should never use pressure treated wood for critical stand, for example a DT tank stand.

Pressure treated wood over time will shrink and warp on you.
Faster if the conditions are in a very dry environment or out in the sun.

I do not see RO/DI tanks as a critical stand, because they can be very forgiving unlike a glass or acrylic tank.

ok got it skinned today!!!

sealed all gaps and screws with calking. any ideas on what the best paint will be for this? I painted a stand a few years ago and when I sold the tank the paint made it so we couldn't separate the tank from the stand :(

I don't want that to happen again. I am building this setup with the intentions that I will keep this and just move it with me forever or as long as it holds up :)

after the calk dries I will sand it really good then time to go to the store and pick up some paint.

ok I picked up killz2 today for the paint. I also had to install a utility sink in the laundry room for a water supply for the new RODI location and I needed a drain for the RODI waste line and for the waste water for the tank from the auto water change system. pictures later on.

progress slow but hope its all in before the club meeting next month at my house :)

Thx.
Just ordered a new RODI setup it will be a 7 stage setup. I will sell the current RODI unit after I get the new 1 setup

Not yet but I'm thinking about it. I don't need the speed but I know the more pressure can improve performance

My house has 60 psi to my current unit

Back