Water Change station remodel

ok I will have the utility sink install with connection and drains for the setup done today. hope I will be able to start painting soon too. here is a size ref pic of the setup.

the 5 gal bucket gives a good ref. so does the garage door.

How are you draining the water from your tank? Maybe I missed that part? Are you automating that as well.

I have my 75 gallon sump in my garage, and ran about 30 feet of pipe to my DT, around my house and underneath my front side walk. I also have a drain pipe that runs to the back of my property probably a hundred feet that dumps the excess water/waste water. Only labor I have for water changes is throwing the salt in the container then flipping on two pumps. One to Drain then one to fill the new saltwater. Comes at the price of running a chiller though, which i would gladly give up because I don't get the floors wet any more inside the house doing water changes, and its very hard to manage a 2 year old while trying to do a water change as well!!!!!

I'm sure you will have good success with your set up you seem to think stuff out before you do and your tank is proof of it.

How are you draining the water from your tank? Maybe I missed that part? Are you automating that as well.

I have my 75 gallon sump in my garage, and ran about 30 feet of pipe to my DT, around my house and underneath my front side walk. I also have a drain pipe that runs to the back of my property probably a hundred feet that dumps the excess water/waste water. Only labor I have for water changes is throwing the salt in the container then flipping on two pumps. One to Drain then one to fill the new saltwater. Comes at the price of running a chiller though, which i would gladly give up because I don't get the floors wet any more inside the house doing water changes, and its very hard to manage a 2 year old while trying to do a water change as well!!!!!

I'm sure you will have good success with your set up you seem to think stuff out before you do and your tank is proof of it.

yes that will be automated as well. I actually just finished that part. I added 2 1/4" push connect valves to the drain of the sink I just added for this project. 1 fitting will be water from the tank during the water change, and the other drain fitting will be for the waste water from the RO unit.

ok this is the sink that was added just for this project.

this is the feed line for the RO system.

this is the double drain lines that I added to the sink drain.

and this is the best pic I could get with all the plumbing complete for this part anyways.

the goal is to start painting the base to the barrels ,and the mounting board for the RODI unit and other equipment tomorrow. we will see if time allows.

Roger

Looks great Roger. I am with Pedro get a booster pump. Didnt think I needed one until i ended up with one from a purchase I made and now I cant believe I waited so long. Before booster pump long run 6-7 tds before DI now 3-4 before DI and makes water much faster. Had 52psi before now run at 90psi. What a difference.

This looks really good Roger. Do you mind me asking what you paid for them? I had an idea to do something like this but on a much smaller scale.

This looks really good Roger. Do you mind me asking what you paid for them? I had an idea to do something like this but on a much smaller scale.

The barrels where between $150-$200 each they r slightly different then each others. The wood I have just und r $100 into that plus the spectra pure auto water changer is near $500 with everything on it. I still need to get 1 more small barrel 20-35 gal for my kalk. That can sit on the ground. I also need to get the plumping to set the 2 barrels up. And the sink and mis fittings another $200 dosnt include the rodi unit .

In regards to your past 55 or 50 gallon water change station you had set up, was heat ever an issue for you during the water exchange?

I know this new system you are doing much smaller exchanges throughout the month, but on the older system, I assume you were doing larger immediate changes.

Since the water was being stored in the garage of a constant temperature of 85+ degrees would this ever cause a problem? I always wondered this in non basement water change systems.

Bobby yes it sure can if u did water changes at the end of the day in the summer time. I always tried to do summer water changers in the morning. The over night would cool the water to 80 range. Winter just used a heater the night before the water changes

Ok I got everything painted. Now working on cleaning the new spot in the garage as that area was just storage. Haven't touched the stuff in years.

ok I took everyone advice. I ordered the booster pump from BRS I also ordered the 150 GPD RO membrane upgrade.

here are the barrels in there final placement. I still have to mount the board above the barrels for all the equipment. maybe I could get to that this after noon. the new RODI unit came in the mail today. so I can start setting everything up now!!!

Looks great Roger. I am with Pedro get a booster pump. Didnt think I needed one until i ended up with one from a purchase I made and now I cant believe I waited so long. Before booster pump long run 6-7 tds before DI now 3-4 before DI and makes water much faster. Had 52psi before now run at 90psi. What a difference.

talked at length with BRS about pressure. they recommend the highest the pressure should be is 75 psi and they say 65psi is best. anything higher and you loose the proper contact time with the carbon filters.

Roger

Looking good! I'm gonna start building my water change station next week. I really like the barrels you are using. Know where I could get ones similar just smaller? Looking to keep the footprint as small as possible.

talked at length with BRS about pressure. they recommend the highest the pressure should be is 75 psi and they say 65psi is best. anything higher and you loose the proper contact time with the carbon filters.

Roger

In my opinion, contact time has nothing to do with pressure. Yes, your RO system will push out more product water and less waste water with higher psi, which is about the same amount in total water through the filters whether its low or high psi anyway. Higher psi will kill the membranes faster, because of that I would stick with 60psi. Booster pumps should be used to maintain consistent psi throughout the life of the filters.

Back