Water changes

If you are siphoning out water during a water change with a specific gravity of 1.026, you should replace it with new water at 1.026. However, if you are simply replacing evaporative losses, that water should be straight RO/DI water.

There are many different meters for measuring SG, but the easiest and most accurate for the money is this refractometer.

Yeah I know about just using RO/DI for replacement and I do have a refractometer... but basically just fill up a bucket of RO/DI water add salt until its salinity matches that of the main tanks?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11669626#post11669626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamest0o0
Yeah I know about just using RO/DI for replacement and I do have a refractometer... but basically just fill up a bucket of RO/DI water add salt until its salinity matches that of the main tanks?
It depends a little on the salt you choose. I mix two cups of Instant Ocean in a four gallon bucket of RO/DI water, and I get a perfect 1.026 mix. Read the instructions on the salt you use.

I'm assuming you're not trying to lower or raise the salinity with this change? If not, then you want the water going in to be the same SG as the water coming out...also assuming that you're removing the same amount that's going in.

Back