Wave2k's are here!

sedgro

Premium Member
Just got my two "center unit" wave2ks in the mail today. Looks like they will be everything they promised. Hopefully, I should have them up and running by tonight - pictures and a movie will follow. Anybody else out there get their's yet?

John

Wow, I've been waiting a long time for these to come out. Looks like its time for me to give Jody a call and see where I am on the waiting list.

wow,
i'm having my center unit shipped to work and i'm on vacation till monday. wouldn't it be something if it's sitting there and i'm at home. na, i doubt it. i only placed the order two weeks ago.

I can't wait for all the humorous stories about sea creatures that accidently get sucked up and spit out by these things. ;)

Joe

I hope it operates as promised. It sounds like the next step in reef keeping if it works and lasts... Keep us posted!!

Ryan

Those things look really cool but they just too muckin fuch money....

I can just see the conversation with the wife....but honey it makes waves!

Best of luck to all you brave souls taking the plunge with this latest attempt at a commercial wavemaker. I hope this one bears fruit in the long run.

There is just too much skepticism on my part to jump in this one (especially at this price) Having seen what came to market before and how it fared in the end encourages my doubt.

But, I truly want to be surprised with this one!! Be detailed in your reports on these things and I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you.

I finally got the machines installed. My tank is acrylic so some drilling was involved - 4x 5/16th inch and 1x 3/4 inch holes for each device. After I got the holes drilled, the rest of the installation was easy. The machines produce a good deal of turbulent flow. You'll notice in the picture how much particulate matter is suspended in the water. THis has all been kicked up by the wave2ks. The flow comming out of the top feels like that produced by a maxijet 1200 - but of course with a 16 inch wide nozzle. Many of you were worried about the suction - I don't think this will be an issue since it is spread over such a wide area. One of the machines is completely silent. The other makes a clicking noise at each end of the cycle - this is my fault - I turned a screw that I shouldn't have and adjusted something made to be adjusted later in the wavemakers lifetime. I will need to contact Jody to find out how to fix it.

I have a movie but it is 7 MB - will have it on a website shortly.

John

BTW: my new tank is a 215gal with 30 and 20 gal sumps. Lighting is via 2x 400 watt HQI 20,00k radiums, 2x 400 watt 6500K Iwasaki, and 2x 96 watt PC Actinics.

Congrats Sedgro! I have a corner unit coming and I'll be posting images as well. I'll check the video at your site later. I have dsl so 7mb is no worries. :) Good luck with your wave2K's and keep us updated.

This new device is very intriguing. How well would it work for people who have a lot of rock in their tank? If i purchased a center unit for my 180g tank, it would be behind a bunch of rock. Is this a concern? Would i still get a lot of flow from it? I'm still happy with my two Sea Swirls but i'd consider this device too as an addition if it really works.

SaltwaterKid I think if you had a rock wall directly in front of the slots on the unit then it would possibly hinder performance, but I can't really say for certain. You might want to talk to Jody at Wave2K about that. If that is a concern, you could just use 2 corner units. Also, they will custom make machines to specifications that you provide. So that's another thing you could possibly consider. In any event, you might want to call or email Jody and discuss your options.

Yes, i have the dreaded wall look in my tank. I'm just a bad aquascaper. I'd like to see sedgro's video before i go any further. An actual demonstration is worth a thousand words.

I think a corner unit on my Oceanic 75 would be enough... Especially if I put a spraybar from the return pump on the opposite end of the tank. Whatcha' think?

Back