we have drip

at first I thought the evaporation rate had kicked up! Thank goodness it's a slow leak- I only lost a couple of gallons overnight. The bad news is that the leak is somewhere along the bottom seam of my display aquarium :(

A couple gallons overnight doesn't seem small. But I guess in comparison to the leak they had at the Dubai aquarium it is. :D

You gonna have to drain the tank to get it fixed??

Good luck!!

ah man, sorry to hear, your situation is one of my worst nightmares, the worst being catastrophic failure-is this even possible?, am interested on how you plan to resolve it, gl

I'm going to get some more opinions but at this point I believe that I'll need to drain it. Just took some pix.

April_2010a.jpg

April_2010.jpg

Sorry to hear this :( Was worried about this on my tank, but its nowhere near the level of dealing with a tank like yours.

I'm sure you've hooked up enough people here that you'll have all the helping hands you'll need.

-Gary,

Hey ,I am in no way saying it would work but that it might be worth a try.Might be worth running the thought anyway with someone knowledgeable in hydrostatic pressure.

Just an idea, underwater epoxy along leak area inside tank might be enough to hold leak at bay while some added silicone is applied underneath and able to cure.Just a thought of course.

-Gary,

Hey ,I am in no way saying it would work but that it might be worth a try.Might be worth running the thought anyway with someone knowledgeable in hydrostatic pressure.

Just an idea, underwater epoxy along leak area inside tank might be enough to hold leak at bay while some added silicone is applied underneath and able to cure.Just a thought of course.
good suggestion. I'm always open to opinions. Draining this aquarium isn't something anyone would want to do if they didn't have to.

Dont know if this will work in this case but When i have a leak (more like a spray then an a leak) in my return line on my koi pond i used mighty putty and i didnt have to turn the pump off and its still holding stronge a year later

Have you ventured over to the DIY forum to ask opinions? The people there are generally very knowledgable... though I fear the answer they give will be along the lines of resealing the tank

I truly hope someone is able to give you a solution that doesn't involve draining the tank. If you need any help whatsoever, please don't hesitate to us know. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would be willing to come help you out.

Putty or silicone that is applied inside will just be a temp fix to stop the drip, which it might not even stop. if it is leaking, the joint has been compromised and will only get worse over time. If you can't find ones to borrow just go to tractor supply, buy 2 of the 100 gallon water troughs, use them, then return them so long as they aren't damaged. If you need a hand with anything or the new tank drilled let me know.
-Walter

Back