Western_reefers 28 gallon Nano-Cube HQI diary.

Thanks yeah, its tricky to get enough flow for the area directly beneath the MP10 thats not so strong it clears the opposite side out, Ill keep toying with it, but wondering about maybe adding a Koralia to the other side

Thanks yeah, its tricky to get enough flow for the area directly beneath the MP10 thats not so strong it clears the opposite side out, Ill keep toying with it, but wondering about maybe adding a Koralia to the other side

Yw. Yup, sure is.. who do you want to add a koralia on the other side??

Yw. Yup, sure is.. who do you want to add a koralia on the other side??

I figured adding a Koralia on the other side would help the sand underneath the MP10. My LFS suggested lowering the MP10, maybe it's too high on the glass... I tend to play around with it this weekend :bounce2:

I figured adding a Koralia on the other side would help the sand underneath the MP10. My LFS suggested lowering the MP10, maybe it's too high on the glass... I tend to play around with it this weekend :bounce2:

Ah, gotcha. Just keep playing around with it until you get the results your looking for. :)

Moses,
What kind of sand did you use? I made the mistake of putting some pieces of LR from my refugium into my JBJ28 that had some grape caulerpa on it and now my tank is infested with the stuff. It's a seahorse tank so I can't put fish in it that would eat the stuff so I finally gave up trying to remove it manually and I am going to start over. Going to set the SH's up temporarily in a 20g tank I used to use for QT and start from scratch. Was thinking of going with a darker (black) sand. Was looking at the Arag-Alive Indo-Pacific Black sand but read mixed reviews. Are you happy with the darker sand?

I used grey sand that I got from a friend. I like the look of my grey sand, but I got rid of it all so I'm barebottom at the moment because my strong/high flow was blowing it all over the place. I'm going to put a very fine layer(like 0.25") of crushed coral so I can have high flow and so it'd look like ive got a sandy bottom.

Western: I am new to this hobby and I am looking for my first tank, I just spent the last two hours reading this entire thread, and WOW. It was so nice and then the crash... Sorry... then doing it again. I am so happy to see it. I really want to get my first tank and I am looking at cad lights and finnex options right now, I have about $1000 to spend total.

Thank you so much for everything you have taught me in this thread.

Man what an outstanding thread :thumbsup:

i am currently looking at getting a nano tank and this thread is very inspiring

im sure i will have questions with my build since i am new to salt water tanks.

outstanding job none the less

Its been a while since I've updated the FTS's. Here are a couple. :)

Taken on: 08/30/2011
14uc2fp.jpg

Taken on: 09/29/2011
15oh07a.jpg

Im curious about your reactor setup, have a couple questions I was hoping you could answer:
1) Do you think running two is worth it instead of just running one with mixed media?
2) Those are the Two Little Fishies for 150gal right?
3) How far do you have the flow turned down on your maxijet 1200?

I am looking at a similar setup, but possibly just one reactor for PhosBan. I am debating whether to run just the one or add a second for Rox 0.8, or mix both in one reactor. I am also debating whether to add another small MaxiJet 400 to run the setup, or use my stock Accela which is already driving a chiller to run the WHOLE reactor/chiller setup. Comments appreciated.

And I just glanced back through your thread, the tank now is looking even better than before the big crash, glad you stuck it out and got restarted!

Im curious about your reactor setup, have a couple questions I was hoping you could answer:
1) Do you think running two is worth it instead of just running one with mixed media?
2) Those are the Two Little Fishies for 150gal right?
3) How far do you have the flow turned down on your maxijet 1200?

I am looking at a similar setup, but possibly just one reactor for PhosBan. I am debating whether to run just the one or add a second for Rox 0.8, or mix both in one reactor. I am also debating whether to add another small MaxiJet 400 to run the setup, or use my stock Accela which is already driving a chiller to run the WHOLE reactor/chiller setup. Comments appreciated.

1) I was also thinking about doing the same before, but the reason why I went with two reactors was to separate them. GFO is much harder than carbon, so when they tumble, the GFO will grind down the Carbon into powder which will then get into your tank. So, I wouldn't recommend mixing the two into one reactor.
2)Yup. :)
3) I have it just enough where the media is tumbling.

I wouldn't recommend mixing GFO and Carbon into one reactor as the GFO is harder and will grind the Carbon into powder. HTH! :)

1) I was also thinking about doing the same before, but the reason why I went with two reactors was to separate them. GFO is much harder than carbon, so when they tumble, the GFO will grind down the Carbon into powder which will then get into your tank. So, I wouldn't recommend mixing the two into one reactor.
2)Yup. :)
3) I have it just enough where the media is tumbling.

I wouldn't recommend mixing GFO and Carbon into one reactor as the GFO is harder and will grind the Carbon into powder. HTH! :)

Thanks! So you think I should run a dedicated maxijet 400 on the two reactors or try to leverage the already drastically reduced flow from the accela/chiller loop?

Thanks! So you think I should run a dedicated maxijet 400 on the two reactors or try to leverage the already drastically reduced flow from the accela/chiller loop?

Your welcome. Yeah.. unless the amount of flow from the chiller loop is creating enough flow to tumble the media in both reactors.

Its been a while since I've updated the FTS's. Here are a couple. :)

Taken on: 08/30/2011
14uc2fp.jpg

Taken on: 09/29/2011
15oh07a.jpg

It is funny how the firefish is in the same place in both pictures. I don't know what it is, but did you get rid of the green toadstool (?) to the left of the cap on the left side of the tank? It is in the first picture, but missing in the second.

It is funny how the firefish is in the same place in both pictures. I don't know what it is, but did you get rid of the green toadstool (?) to the left of the cap on the left side of the tank? It is in the first picture, but missing in the second.
Hahahaha yeah..
Nope, I still have the green toadstool, its on the left near the green cap/under the duncans, it was closed when I took the picture.

Back