what are they?

rogergolf66

im an addict lol
I left my trap up for the clowns running last night but they didn't hatch yet but I caught these guys. what r they? pods? they look like little shrimp. pic is taken with micro lens they r very small just smaller then the tip of a pen

Probably a Mysid Shrimp. We all know the freshwater mysis by PE and numerous saltwater mysis by Hiakri, SF, ON, etc. But there are over 1000 species of Mysid worldwide. Some can and do live in our reef tanks.

Looks like mysis shrimp. I have a bunch in my tank they just came with the rock and populated. Much more active and out then pods.

Did you buy one or DIY?
I'm anxious to see how well it works. I have been staying up on hatch night with a light and a bowl to skim the little suckers out. Agonizingly painstaking work when you are talking hundreds of larvae. Lost my first two attempts but currenty have about 100 still alive and starting meta.

Did you buy one or DIY?
I'm anxious to see how well it works. I have been staying up on hatch night with a light and a bowl to skim the little suckers out. Agonizingly painstaking work when you are talking hundreds of larvae. Lost my first two attempts but currenty have about 100 still alive and starting meta.

I bought it but easy enough to make something similar. Do u know what went wrong first 2 attempts?

It could have been anything, but my best guess is that the larvae were weak due to poor broodstock nutrition. Once I made an effort to really stuff the parents with NLS Thera A pellets and a DIY seafood mix the larvae in each subsequent batch were stronger. Initially most died on the first day or two with 15-30 left that died during meta. The latest attempt has been much better. Larvae were much stronger swimmers from the outset. Some of them were showing a faint headstripe this morning. Now I just have to figure out what to do with 100+ Spotcinctus!

It could have been anything, but my best guess is that the larvae were weak due to poor broodstock nutrition. Once I made an effort to really stuff the parents with NLS Thera A pellets and a DIY seafood mix the larvae in each subsequent batch were stronger. Initially most died on the first day or two with 15-30 left that died during meta. The latest attempt has been much better. Larvae were much stronger swimmers from the outset. Some of them were showing a faint headstripe this morning. Now I just have to figure out what to do with 100+ Spotcinctus!

Anemone tanK!!!

Did you buy one or DIY?
I'm anxious to see how well it works. I have been staying up on hatch night with a light and a bowl to skim the little suckers out. Agonizingly painstaking .

Well it was a bust. It only caught 4-6 larva but caught thousands of what people r saying r baby mysid shrimp.

I will add the tile on the spot they have been laying the eggs and hope they lay on it next time. For now I have at least 4 to try and keep alive. It will be a practice run.

Anyone want to buy a larva trap? :) Was cool the stuff I caught at night though.

Back