What causes Zoos to do this?

Zoalander

I was given these zoos from a local reefer, they were stuck under lots of rock and where closed up. When I put them in my tank it took about a week for them to open and they were ugly brown. Last week I was thinking of dumping them so I just set them aside in my tank because I didn't just want to kill them. I looked at them today and they are all puckered up and have a deep purple color. I'm just curious why they puccker up like this. The 1st pic is with flash and the 2nd without.

Picture055.jpg

Picture056.jpg

I have it in the upper middle of a 55 gallon over 2x150 watt de mh and 2x96 watt PC actinics so I don't know if it's the light. It does look like they are cold though lol.

I have had this happen under my 175W MH's many times. To me it means to much light because generally they will shrink soon after and wither away. When I move them into the shade sometimes they will respond and come back to full health. As soon as I see any of my zoas get that nipple effect I move them ASAP because I know it's not a good thing. The colonies that I left in that state usually blues, some reds have perished. If i were you I would move them not just lower but in some partial shade. That is just my opinion after many symptoms just like yours. Give it a try.

Yeah they will do better if they survive. They looked pretty healthy so I think they will make it. Just don't give them diraect light and see what happens.....

Back