What do you do with your RO waste water?

Chibils

halide loyalist
As the title says. I'm getting back in back to the hobby and this time I have a house. When I buy my RO system I'd like to be able to do something useful with the waste water.

Other than the very coldest months, I route mine to a cistern outside and use it to water the plants and veggies.

I run mine to a flower bed except during winter months.

I have heard of others using it to fill washers and toilets.

I setup an herb garden on the opposite side of the wall from the RO unit, complete with low pressure drip line from the system. Nothing beats good water and fresh herbs when you are making Italian.

I used to collect the RO waste water in top load washer, but I got a lot of grief from people in the house complaining they cannot do their laundry. So that was not worth it.

As for collecting it in a container outside the house, make sure it does not become a mosquito breeding ground (e.g. zika).

Right now, it just goes down the drain. I just do less water change instead, half what I used to. I'd say most people are probably doing too much water change.

I need to start containing mine. That water is much too nice to keep dumping down the drain!
I'm going to move my ro/di to the garage and will likely setup a collection bucket

Back