What do you do with your RO waste water?

I collect it in a 1000ltr IBC container and use it pumped with an external tap & sink for the garden, cleaning (power washing) the patio & deck,bar-b-que grill shelves, wash bicycles and kids muddy boots and anything external that isn't consumable..

I ran a line to my pool. I live in Florida and have huge evaporation problems... I have yet to encounter any problems with the pools natural balance in doing this.

When I first purchased my RO/DI system I ordered an extra 30 feet of line for the waste water. Ran it through the dog door on my porch to my back yardand. I use it to water vegetables and fruit trees. Four years and counting and everything seems fine.

Swimming pool, in season, and it doesn't generate near enough to keep up with evaporation.

Out of season, it goes down the drain. Not as bad here as it might be elsewhere... our water comes out of the ground from a well, drain goes right back into the ground. All we're really wasting is the electricity we used pumping it out.

Right now down the drain and I hate it. I feel so wasteful. Once I'm in my own home it's going to water the lawn.

Actually, you can't waste water. It is a closed system, from evaporation, to clouds, to precipitation, to watershed, to aquifer, water isn't wasted. Our fish are swimming in the liquid dinosaurs peed, millennia ago. And yes the same water we bathe in and drink.
:eek1:

I ordered extra ro line. I now run it to my compost pile since it has been a little dry here in South FL so my pile has been dry and not composting fast enough. More compost, more dirt to use for my garden and other potted plants.

washing machine mostly
As others have said - if the waste line is close it is easy to just put it into a basic top loading laundry machine. It takes maybe an hour or so to fill BUT you need to remember to stop. AND it doesn't work for HOT loads cold or tap water only.

It goes down the drain. We rent and live in an apartment and well we just have no need for the waste water, or anywhere to store it, so down the drain is the best.

down the drain for now, my question is: as the RO is in the basement, anybody able to "recycle" it when it is draining in the basement ? (without hauling buckets?)

I collect my waste water in a 275 gallon tote you see on craigslist. Use it to water plants, wash skimmer collection cups, tongs, bone cutters, and wet band saw.

I use mine to keep bait fish for fishing. Might not be good enough for marine aquariums but does fine with bait. The waste water flow into my bait tank and the fresh water keeps waste from building up. Overflows into the lawn.

Back