What do you do with your waste water?

Lack of water is due to drought, and not due to water completely dissappearing. You're giving the wrong impression that water is disappearing from earth.

Some people's motivation for saving water or saving electricity is mainly to save money, but it does have other positive side effects.

Lack of water is due to drought, and not due to water completely dissappearing. You're giving the wrong impression that water is disappearing from earth.

Some people's motivation for saving water or saving electricity is mainly to save money, but it does have other positive side effects.

Using that logic then there is no such thing as drought, since the water hasn't actually disappeared.

Apparently you either didn't read or didn't understand the article I linked to. The Colorado river basin isn't in trouble due to drought or water disappearing, it's due to the fact that people use more than it can supply.

Last edited:
Back to the topic at hand. My ro/di is above the utility sink in the garage and waste water goes into a bucket in the sink. The feed is on a simple lawn watering timer and 30 minutes fills the waste bucket.

Some waste water is used to water plants. However the primary use is to clean and rinse aquarium equipment. Since I have four nanos everything is freshwater rinsed before using it in another tank. I have in the past cross contaminated tanks with cyano and other nuisances. Then when I'm done with the water it gets used to water outdoor plantings.

I've also used the waste water to wash the cars, clean hand tools or just rinse my hands after working in the yard. Then it's used to water plants.

I let it go down the drain. Seems like a waist of time to me to save it and use it.

I have flooded my basement like 3 times by forgetting I was making RO/DI water and overflowing the washing machine tub!

At the moment it goes into the drain but I am working on a better way to put it in a holding tank and do laundry with it.

Good on you folks for working out a way to waste less water!

OH, second thought also. What is to stop you from taking the waste water line and plumbing it back in to the input line of your system? Maybe you need a pump to bring the pressure back up? Also, what about taking the waste water and feeding it through a separate DI Resin filter and allowing it to go into the bucket any way? The resin filter would need changed more often than the others (or so I assume), but it should be quite nicely cleaned and ready for use. I just don't get why RO has to have so much waste water to function.

I have flooded my basement like 3 times by forgetting I was making RO/DI water and overflowing the washing machine tub!

At the moment it goes into the drain but I am working on a better way to put it in a holding tank and do laundry with it.

Good on you folks for working out a way to waste less water!

Why not just set a timer? My washer takes an hour an 45 minutes to fill 3/4 full..my timer does not turn off until you physically shut it off..:p

OH, second thought also. What is to stop you from taking the waste water line and plumbing it back in to the input line of your system?

You're feeding your RO/DI all the stuff it just rejected, kind of inefficient. But a second RO membrane is not uncommon.

Also, what about taking the waste water and feeding it through a separate DI Resin filter and allowing it to go into the bucket any way?

Try it. You'll change resin every day. One reason for the RO membrane is to reject the stuff that uses up your resin.

I just don't get why RO has to have so much waste water to function.

It doesn't. There are some very expensive systems that operate at a 1:1 ratio for waste and you can get even better purification than that. The international space station reuses all the water on board. The problem is that RO/DI systems that waste less cost more. A lot more. There comes a point where water conservation is a great idea but too inconvenient. And everyone has a different level of inconvenience they'll put up with.

I do my part to combat the clubbing of baby seals by not having enough income to buy any of the products produced by the clubbing. But I'm not about to go live with the seals to protest the act. Likewise, I'd like to use my RO/DI waste water, but I'm not running around with buckets to fill the toilet tanks.

Jeff

AT bulk Reef supply, there custom ro/di unit has a recirculating double DI membrane option. It adds around $50 to the cost of the system, but get you close to a 1:1 and 150 gpd production.

So basically in a it should be a dual RO membrane, which the waste water from the first is fed into the 2nd RO and given a chance to go through the DI along with the clean water from the 1st, and that the 2nd RO is the only one that really produces waste water?

the key word in the description is the waste water output of the first membrane must have at least 65psi pressure. otherwise, what will happen is most of the water goiing to the second membrane will just go to the waste output (since there is not enough pressure to push water past the membrane), which essentially makes the second membrane do nothing.

if it works, since the waste water out flow restrictor remains at 550ml/minute (which is 75gpdx3), then the ratio of good to bad goes from 1:3 to 2:3 (75gpd is approx 200 ml/minute, but the rodi system uses a 550 ml/min flow restrictor, which gives the good to waste ration of 1:3).

since the second membrane is filtering the waste of the first membrane, the second membrane will need to be replaced sooner than the first.

We get this question a lot - I think we need to add this to our FAQ list: http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/FAQ.asp

We feel it is misleading to tell people they can cut down on waste water by adding a second membrane. Here's why.

First - remember that what folks call "waste water" really would be better thought of as "flush water" in that this water serves the important purpose of internally flushing the surface of the semipermeable membrane to keep the membrane from fouling/scaling.

When you configure a system with two membranes in series (the waste from the first membrane going to the "in" port on the second membrane), for this discussion let's say it's two 75 gpd membranes, the system behaves like you have a single long (75 gpd x 2) 150 gpd membrane.

Now - if you use a proper flow restrictor, that is, one for a 150 gpd membrane, you'll have about a 4:1 waste to product ratio. Sounds familiar, right?

If however you don't change the flow restrictor - meaning you keep using the same restrictor you were using when you just had one 75 gpd membrane, then you'll see a waste to product ratio much lower than 4:1. But remember that the recommendation for a ~4:1 ratio comes from the membrane manufacturer. They are telling you that you need about a 4:1 ratio to keep the membrane flushed and keep the membrane from fouling or building up scale. Run the system with a lower ratio and you will foul/scale the membrane(s) quicker than would have otherwise been the case.

Instead of adding a second membrane to lower that ratio, you could have just changed out your flow restrictor ($4) instead. A much less expensive approach to get you to the same endpoint in terms of saving on waste water.

Now, to confuse things just a bit. Filmtec specs call for the 4 to 1 ratio on the basis of assumptions about the water that will be supplied to the membrane. If you have very soft water you MAY be able to get a decent service life from the membrane running at a ratio lower than 4 to 1 (e.g., 3 to 1). Remember that the waste water from the first membrane is about 25% harder than your tap water.

Bottomline: If what you are after is reduced waste water, experiment with a different flow restrictor for $4 instead of messing around with a second membrane plumbed in series.

As a side note, you can also lower the ratio by increasing the pressure delivered to the membrane (with a booster pump), because flow restrictors are sized assuming you are providing factory spec conditions (50 psi and 77 degrees for Filmtec membranes). Increase the pressure and you'll drive more water through the membrane and viola - less waste water. But as I mentioned above, if you do this (just like over-restricting a membrane) - the lower the waste to product ratio, the shorter the lifespan on the membrane.

Makes sense?

Russ

Russ,

I thought about the flow restrictor like you mentioned, but I think it is operating at the correct ratio still since the membranes are in series.

actually, the second membrane waste output would be restricted to 550 ml/minute, and the first one would be at 550+200, or about 1:4.

Sorry - but I don't follow...

Russ

1000ml -> [membrane 1] -> 800ml waste -> [membrane 2]->600 waste
_____________________-> 200ml good ________________->200 good
(ignore the underscore, that is just there to position the text in the right place)

so membrane 1 is operating at 1:4 and membrane 2 is operating at 1:3 via the 550ml/min flow restrictor which is what typically comes with a 75GPD RODI systems. The minimum flow ratio for the membrane is 1:3, that is why 75RODI systems come with 550ML restrictors instead of 800ML restrictors.

so in the above illustration, you get 400ml good water to 600ml waste water, hence I said in my earlier post the ratio is 2:3.

The series configuration is not the same as simply having one long 75gpd membrane as you described.

So the original restrictor does not need to be changed.

Back