What do you guys think of BRS taking over MD?

I live a few miles from MD but haven't ordered much from them in years. Started buying from BRS instead. Guess I'm part of the problem lol.

I found their prices for spectrapure di pretty good, so that's what I ordered mostly. It was cheaper than ordering directly from spectrapure. Guess I need a new place to order from?

not good for the industry at all. I hope no employees for MD get laid off in the transition of things.

I agree.

Competition is good.

With all the free pandemic cash floating about I can't imagine MD is in bad shape"¦ the only thing that makes sense is that BRS offered an insane amount of cash.

There's still aqua cave, I think they are still around"¦ those guys are great!

Just checked, aqua cave is still around"¦ not that I dislike MD but IMO choice is good for the industry.

https://www.aquacave.com/?gclid=Cjw...VoURqHkp28tICpDZZtZDsDALrw_dFiOxoCsYYQAvD_BwE

Marine Depot had the Ca. market cornered and it is one of the biggest markets, shipping in two days was great, then they moved, yeah what a nightmare, I could of walked my order quicker than when I got it , over 9 days, so I went Dr. F and S sniff sniff tear up they are gone. I do not use companies that require a password for purchasing, MD did, unless you used Pay Pal. I am sorry to see them go.

I do order from BRS but I try and get most of my stuff from MD. BRS has terrible customer service.
I'll pay a couple extra dollars and go back to Premium Aquatics. They've been around longer then both BRS and MD.

I remember going to that little place that Ken had off the 55 freeway. Must of been around 2000. He's always offer quality equipment for a good price. I think the guy (Jason?) who owns Premium Aquatics has done a great job supporting reefers for over 20 years. I spent a ton of money with them and MD. They both always had great customer service.

BRS has some really good info videos that have helped out a lot of reefers.

They have their reactors and bulk stuff that's made them a lot of money. The first bulk product they offered was Calcium Hydroxide, they still owe me for that;)

Last edited:
I purchased my spectrapure RODI unit from MD partially because of the 15% off filters for LIFE ! I confirmed today with one of the online chat reps that BRS will not be honoring that promotion and let alone most likely will not be selling spectrapure products since BRS has there in-house RODI units. Sucks... I believe there's multiple threads on the comparison of the DOW RO membranes that BRS sells vs the spectrapure membranes and the spectrapure outperformed the Dow. Another reason why I went with MD... :mad:

I purchased my spectrapure RODI unit from MD partially because of the 15% off filters for LIFE ! I confirmed today with one of the online chat reps that BRS will not be honoring that promotion and let alone most likely will not be selling spectrapure products since BRS has there in-house RODI units. Sucks... I believe there's multiple threads on the comparison of the DOW RO membranes that BRS sells vs the spectrapure membranes and the spectrapure outperformed the Dow. Another reason why I went with MD... :mad:

I buy directly from spectrapure and all I can say, having owned several RODI units over the decades, if you can afford it get the spectrapure they are better than the other options by no small margin.

I actually bought my first spectrapure system about 2 years ago for the kitchen and was so impressed that I replaced my fish tank RODI promptly afterwards with spectrapure and never looked back.

Decided to give MD another shot. Placed my order yesterday and paid the faster shipping because I wanted it today.

My order will be here next Friday (a week from today).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's why I did a huge order a few days ago for the 15% off the RODI filters...so at least I'm set for another couple years. I ordered 2 days ago and part of the order came yesterday so...super quick!

Back