What do YOU want in a club

Since ASM has raised their prices I would like to host the first "Fill your pockets with money and sit on my couch meeting"
-Whats lost in the couch stays in the couch-

I love the ideas you guys have. I live in the Ramsey/Vandalia area. About an hour away from St Louis. Can I still join?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6979358#post6979358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fkdenton
I love the ideas you guys have. I live in the Ramsey/Vandalia area. About an hour away from St Louis. Can I still join?

Pana, IL I was in a wedding almost a year ago in that town. My buddy married a local girl from Pana. We had the rehearsal dinner at this cool restaurant/bar that use to be a church in Hillsboro IL. Awesome food at that place. Thats not that bad of a drive at all. Look forward to meeting you.

Vandalia still need to get up that way and see that shop. Will let you know when.

Everyone is welcome.

Start a thread and introduce yourself and your bowfront. Love to hear from new people especially when it comes time to meet. Hey your that person, cool.

Later
rams

A few things that I would like to see,

Maybe one official meeting a month

With 1 or 2 informal meetings a month.
This would make it easier for the board to have fun too.

I also like the idea of more road trips.
I would like to visit the guy who is in the Central IL. Club, who has a green house for propagation.

I would also like maybe one meeting a month ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œIn the warmer monthsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ to be geared for the whole family. Picnic, BBQ, ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚¦.
For example we have a small ranch with many different animals, Which works great for the office parties we hold here.

I like the idea of having meetings, gathering at other reefers homes. This is a great way to gain ideas and to gain more experience. You can also learn from each person on what works and doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t work.

Now speaking for my wife I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t think the wet T-shirt would fly. But a pool party would probably go over.
:cool:

Todd

P.S. maybe more to come as I thing of them...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6982990#post6982990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slide_Ice
For example we have a small ranch with many different animals, Which works great for the office parties we hold here.

Todd

P.S. maybe more to come as I thing of them...

Uhh

If this happens we would have to keep Dallas or Lost Marbles from coming. Just think of the poor animals if they show up, there might be a few others that would have to be banned to.

:lol:

Thanks Todd!

That's just what we're looking for!

Anyone else have suggestions? IF this is going to be your club we need your ideas.

Mark I was already thinking about that.

and my solution at this point is to put a shock collar on him so he can't leave the back yard... :D

I like the idea of a BBQ at a fellow reefers place to see their system talk reef and we can't forget have a few beers (soda for the little ones).

Brad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6978123#post6978123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow

Im still waiting to meet Tattoo, any time now......

I went to the March meeting, where were you?? Good things come to those who are patience, in all due time my friend.

P.S. Thanks for the stuff, Lonnie brought it over. Is this stuff really $45.00!?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967929#post6967929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ramtheory
A reef buddy program where people are paired up to a newbie or new member. Help them acclimate not be so shy make sure they have met and know everyone. Neighbors, friends, mentors.

A buddy sign up, and a new member sign up. Just a thought.

i like that idea---just add on not to bash on the new guys or their small tanks. some of us are just new or learning!

and how about us single people when it comes time for the family events---lates make sure to bring the good looking single sister-n-laws or co-workers.

now we are getting somewhere.

outdoor activities??---ropes course, rock climbing and rappeling--its probably been at least 10 years since ive done any of these and id probably break my neck, but definately a lot of fun.

how bout float trips or fishing derbies?

I'm gonna pull together a couple of quotes from my SLASH questions thread to help illustrate my suggestion. First, from Mike:

I will use this as an example. (not picking on you Steve)
When you say there will be laws, that doesn't sound fun. Having rules sounds much better.
Our secretary Jack (sirreal63) will be taking minutes and we can post them for everyone to see.
Are you going to take minutes at a pizza party?
I was more interested in a club that people could gather together and talk fishtanks. Not worry about laws and minutes.

And then, from Greg:

We plan to take our club into the 21st. century and use this forum to make information concerning all aspects of the club available.

Ok, what I'm seeing in the grand scope of things is what Greg is proposing that would alleviate concerns like Mike's. It would take away the "drudge" part of many meetings and allow much more time for reef talk and work. It could be that this is what Greg and you others are already thinking about, but if not, what I'm picturing is this:

IF the things that were talked about in that thread come to reality, IF there is a website created for SLASH along with the use of this message board, things like voting for officers, approving bylaws or ammendments, and other business of the club could be taken care of online when members have the opportunity to address it. IF a method can be put into place to assure the identity of each person and a way is created for each of us to vote, then this could be a reality. The website could contain all the info anyone could want regarding the club, schedule of upcoming events, guest speakers, proposed changes, treasury report, minutes from previous meetings, etc. You wouldn't need to drag through all this stuff at every big meeting. Club dues could be paid for via paypal and deposited directly into a SLASH account. A meeting could open up with a regular introduction of the officers present and followed up by, "Anyone have any questions or business to present? If not, let's move on to the business of reef tanks.", and that would be all the "official business" of the meeting. Just some stuff I had running through my head...maybe it already ran through yours, I dunno.

And while I'm hogging the suggestion thread...

Not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe a monthly member profile or something along those lines. Get a pic of the member, some pics of their tank(s), along with info on how much experience they have, maybe some insight on how they keep their tank with regards to additives, feedings, lighting, other parameters. Any problems they've encountered along the way and how the problem was solved. Maybe other methods of reefkeeping they have tried before and switched and what their experiences have been (like switching from sand to bare bottom). I know there's been suggested the idea of "Tank of the Month", but this would be more grass roots. Maybe people who might not even be interested in running for TOTM, but just average reefers that might have great info to share. Plus, seeing who they are might make it easier for someone to know if you are bumping into them at an LFS sometime.

I think that could be tied to a TOTM myself. The tank doesn't have to look like the RC TOTM's. It would be nice to see even a new one of rock and a couple fish. You could always do a "revisited" when thier turn comes around again. It will take 3 years or more to make the TOTM round, maybe it could be of the week but then you have to make it simple with a form of typical questions they fill out online and submit thier own photos. That would give appox 9-12 at the current projection of members unless it changed since I heard last. And as it grows maybe every 2 years. But that would give great time lapse. Since walgreens will even put to cd a regular film camera it would be easy to submit for all if given a few weeks notice of their turn. Maybe have a certain photo number limit to send. (depends on the servers capacity.)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7010033#post7010033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
And while I'm hogging the suggestion thread...

Not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe a monthly member profile or something along those lines. Get a pic of the member, some pics of their tank(s), along with info on how much experience they have, maybe some insight on how they keep their tank with regards to additives, feedings, lighting, other parameters. Any problems they've encountered along the way and how the problem was solved. Maybe other methods of reefkeeping they have tried before and switched and what their experiences have been (like switching from sand to bare bottom). I know there's been suggested the idea of "Tank of the Month", but this would be more grass roots. Maybe people who might not even be interested in running for TOTM, but just average reefers that might have great info to share. Plus, seeing who they are might make it easier for someone to know if you are bumping into them at an LFS sometime.

Shooter Dave this is a great idea and was kind of along the lines of what we were thinking, it is good to see someone suggested it.
We had someone in mind who was going to take care of this but they didn't want anything to do with it. They have already shown their talent and we were looking forward to such positions being filled. Old news does anyone have interest in filling such a position please PM one of the board members. If not we will try our best to work a monthly profile, TOTM is obviously in the works once this becomes a functional club. Can't wait to see what we can do together as an interactive club. Please be patient. Later

I swear if I ever see Dave in a wet T shirt dancing around I'll never go to another pizza night.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe a "equipment whore of the month" but Chad would win that every time. Then again, Nookie has been through 3 skimmers without ever having set up a tank!

In all seriousness, I think that people shouldn't try to make this thing so complicated and just have a good time getting together, eating pizza, drinking beer and making fun of Chad. I like the fact that everything has been so laid back and purposely unorganized...

I also think that I'm sick of sitting around looking at a buncha over-the-hill hard legs- Bring the chicks out!!!

Back