What happened to My Damsel?

I had this posted in another section and got no replies.

I picked this damsel 2 days ago (evening) He looked ok at store, but when I got him into the tank I noticed he had a white spot on his nose. Not a raised spot, but more a bleached spot. He also had fin parts missing and micro fine white like dust on his underside. The blue was not a solid blue as I have seen before.

I figured the fin damage was from the others picking on him, and LFS said all their fish are treated with copper and another thing, before they go into the tanks.

So what is killing this guy? He was fine last night, and now this morning he looks like this. I don't think he'll make it another hour. And what should I be concerned about as far as sterilizing the tanks and equipment now?

My 55 DT is fine, my 30 g is fine, my 150 g tub is fine, I am worried oubout contaminating them with this disease.

ammonia 0 trites 0 trates 20 ph 7.8 alk 40
sick-damsel.jpg

Thanks much

I was wondering about PH, it is a tad low. Yes he seemed to have other problems, but not that would have made him turn white like that overnight. I moved him immediatly to a hospital tank with hypo salinity, but that didn't work.

I have a 150 tub out back, and the ph dips to 7 alk to 20 and the damsel is fine there. ( damsel hitched a ride, and I can't fish him out). My curing tub.

My main concern is if it is contagious Hope not

He died, I quit fish tanks and now may start up again.

Turns out roommate was feeding food scraps to the fish. Man I was mad.

Been 15 years now and picked up a smaller bowfront. (45g) I'm debating, I have most things to make it work, but sure would like my 150 back. That was my first fish, he could still be alive today maybe. That was one wild fish.

I think I'll start with a pair of maroon clowns if I do start. I also really liked my Lawnmower, but he jumped the tank and went on to something somewhere.

Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the past issues. Please post updates and feel free to pick out brainsšŸ˜‰. Iā€™ve got over 40 years in the hobby and thereā€™s quite a few on here that have been in the hobby longer than me.

Back