what is happening to my anemone?

potonski

chunks of its body is falling apart. and some of its tentacles keep on falling. took some photos of the anemone. need help!! still new at this hobby. my tank is 2months old.

specific gravity is 1.022.. thats all i know.. other variables i dont know..

i have 3 anemones, 1 tomato clownfish.. they are fine.. all the other corals are fine.. my carpet anemone is also fine..

Attachments

• IMG_20140512_171751.jpg
    IMG_20140512_171751.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140512_171836.jpg
    IMG_20140512_171836.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140512_230156.jpg
    IMG_20140512_230156.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20140512_230234.jpg
    IMG_20140512_230234.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
You need to take the anemone out and treat with cipro. The anemone has an infection that is going to kill it in your tank.

1) You need a good test kit so you know your parameters.
2) Your tank isn't mature enough to house a anemone.
3) Your salinity should be up to 1.025 PPM

good luck.

thanks...

but i dont have an extra tank..:(( is it safe to put it in a bucket? or some clean container?
if i temporarily leave it there (until i can buy another tank), will it kill my other corals and fishes? thanks for the help..

Yes, a bucket would be better then keeping the anemone in the tank. Try and use a bucket that is "food grade" like the one you use for water changes. Just make sure that the bucket has good circulation and the anemone isn't going to wonder into the power head or heater.

good luck

You have a H. magnifica that is dying. You need to take him out of the tank and treat him with antibiotic. It may be too late already.
do you have another anemone? I think I see one in the last picture.

You have a H. magnifica that is dying. You need to take him out of the tank and treat him with antibiotic. It may be too late already.
do you have another anemone? I think I see one in the last picture.

what kind of antibiotic should i use? i just bought the dying anemone a few days ago. and i just noticed its current state yesterday. need help on what to do. im a newbie at this hobby. and i dont have an emergency tank. i just placed it in a bucket for now. planning to buy another tank for it. is it too late already to save it?

the other anemone you see there is a carpet anemone.

From the last picture, you have a bleached S. gigantea. I would spend a littel money to get a spare 20 gal tank. Heater, PH, and soem egg crate. You will likely need treatment for that Gigantea also. Often in a close system, sick anemone will transmit their illness to other anemone in the system.

Your tank is much too new to sustain 1 anemone, much less 3...What size is your tank, what was your method of cycling, & did you do a water change before adding any life in there? At 'less than a month' like your sig. says, I doubt if your tank is fully cycled & ready for any life yet. Clowns are quite hardy & can withstand wildly fluctuating chemistries in new tanks, but it's still inhumane to throw a bunch of sensitive animals in a newly cycling tank. & personally, I'd run far away from the LFS that said it was ok to put a carpet & 2 other anemones in a month old tank...

I agree w/ others about treating all those nems with cipro in a bucket until a QT is set up. I'd also do about a 40% water change & check your chemistries. If they're still whacked, maybe even re-home the clownfish & corals for awhile until you know for sure that your tank is truly cycled. You're in the right place for good, honest feedback in this amazing hobby; just ask questions here BEFORE making impulsive purchases. btw, are those 4 clowns in 2nd pic? If so, you're going to run into trouble w/ all of those in 1 tank...Keep 1 pair per tank. Good luck & welcome to Reef Central!

Last edited:
Thank you for all your responses. :) My tank is 80 gallons. I started my tank on December 2013 then my fishes started dying last March 2014. After that, my tank became completely wiped out. How do you i know if the tank has completely cycled? The store where I buy my fishes said it was okay to take care of the anemones and the clownfishes. Right now, I have 2 carpet anemones and this dying one. I have 3 nemo clownfishes and 1 tomato clownfish.

Regarding the Cipro, is it the same as the one for humans, bought in the pharmacy?

How do I do a water change? Do I also change the filters? i have an overhead filter with foam and gravel.

I also got some corals from the beach and did not place it in quarantine. :(

I don't think you should trust your LFS. Your tank is way too young, and you are way too inexperience for Anemone, especially the two hardest anemones to keep which is the dying H. magnifica and the bleached carpet S. gigantea.
Both of these anemone required very stable clean water. Very high light in the order of 250 W MH. Both will do very well right under these light.
They both required very high random water movement.
You should not keep Tomato clown with Ocellaris. Tomato are very aggressive and once get a little bigger will have no problem killing the ocellaris.

chunks of its body is falling apart. and some of its tentacles keep on falling. took some photos of the anemone. need help!! still new at this hobby. my tank is 2months old.

specific gravity is 1.022.. thats all i know.. other variables i dont know..

i have 3 anemones, 1 tomato clownfish.. they are fine.. all the other corals are fine.. my carpet anemone is also fine..

Dude, I don't guess your carpet anemone is fine. You'd better first start treating the mag--dying one--and return the two carpet to the lfs. Clownfish is very hardy so they will survive.

You'd better have a full test of your water parameter or at least of your phosphate level. IMO mags are very sensitive to it. And adjust your salinity asap. 1.022 kills not only anemone but a whole lot of sensitive fish and corals

The tank I set up at work was fully stocked within a week and is still thriving til' today. Been like what, six months now.

Not saying it's fine to stock stuff right away, but I think we need to move away from the 'it's only three month, not long enough' sort of view.

More importantly is:
What is your maintenance regime? How is your tank setup? What are the water parameters like? What sort of live stock?

Wow. This is hard work. The LFS doesn't allow returns. Whenever I tell him that a fish died, he would just inform me that the fish didn't survive the new environment.

Anyway, may I know what the correct salinity is? I was told that 1.022 is still normal.

I'm going out later to buy an aquarium test kit to know the levels of the different parameters. What is the best thing to do right now to save my tank? Do I just remove the anemones, place them in a QT and treat them with Cipro?

I'm planning to make this my QT after I get it cleaned. How should i set it up? Should i use a new saltwater or use the one from the tank? What's the purpose of the dividers?

aqua1.jpgaqua2.jpg

Last edited:
Back