What is required for a good frag tank?

I had a blue bottlebrush (I think they are an acropora) It quickely faded and died. I'm wondering are all Acros hard to keep. Should I stick with Monit's, are all montie's easier to keep than Acros or does it just depend on the coral. I've thought about a birdsnest ,I'm not sure if it is a monti or an acro. I currently have in my tank now 2 pink staghorn monti's and an orange plate monti and they are both growing very well.

10lbs of liverock would probably help with everything and sand bed is good as long as you arent going for like 30~50x which would probably blow your sand to high heavens in a tank like that......... [/B]

Agreed. LR will help, but no need for a ton.
I would argue that sand can be skipped, just more to clean.
Line it up on eggcrate. You can find a lot of pics out there of no sand frag tanks. Less maintenance.

Here's how I'm thinking about setting up my new frag tank. A 40 gallon tank (36 x 24 x 12 deep) An Icecap ballast with an Icecap 250 watt 10k bulb with an Icecap reflector. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12780&pcatid=12780.
Frags 2'' above bottm on eggcrate. Two Maxijet 1200's on a wave timer, I might use a mod kit on one of the maxijet's. 10 to 15 lbs of liverock, I will start up using a Seaclone skimmer with intentions of upgrading. I don't know what to upgrade to though I need some suggestions. It will be barebottom with no sand. I don't know how long to keep the light on or how high to put the light , I need some help with this too. What do you guys think, your suggestions are great.

if you want them to grow fast you need a vary shallow tank. ive seen vary successful frag tanks that are 5 inches deep or less

Shallow so you can get high par,? I'm assuming. Makes sense. Can you expose corals to , a too high intensity of light. I don't know what a PAR reading at the equator would be. I posted a thread asking that question once but never got a response. What do you guys think a PAR reading at the equator would be.

I had set my frag tank system up seperate from my main tank so I can also use as a QT tank for my new corals. Half the time i get corals off people they usually have RB on them.

red bugs. Acro eating flat worms, montipora eating nudibranchs, When your trading with people, sometimes their tanks have these coral predators.

Back