What type of rotifers for clownfish breeding?

jjencek

I was not able to find what type of rotifers people use for clownfish breeding.

I have access to live Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type) and Brachionus plicatilis (L-type).

I also can get Brachionus plicatilis cysts which are very attractive to me because I can start a culture only when I need it.

So what do people use?

Freshly hatched brine shrimp (ideally enriched) for 5 days and then frozen cyclops or similar small copepods. Though I kept the parents at 1.018 to get larger eggs and larva. And you will need a planktonkreisel tank to keep the food in suspension. And the trick to get them going after the brine shrimp is to wait half a day before lights on and the first feeding so that the larva are really hungry. Using that method I got repeatedly 90 to 99% of the hatched larva through metamorphosis and the first months until the fighting started.

If you go with Brachionus I would suggest using the largest strain you can find as rotifers are on the small side for most Amphiprion larva.

Great, this is good news. I will go with the live Brachionus plicatilis (L-type) and will also have their cysts in the fridge as a backup if the colony crashes and I cannot get live ones at that moment.

Thank you.

Great, this is good news. I will go with the live Brachionus plicatilis (L-type) and will also have their cysts in the fridge as a backup if the colony crashes and I cannot get live ones at that moment.

Thank you.
Where do you order the cysts from?
I plan on raising some Marine Bettas and pipefish next year and starting a rotifer culture from cysts allows for more flexibility than maintaining a live cultures.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Where do you order the cysts from?
I plan on raising some Marine Bettas and pipefish next year and starting a rotifer culture from cysts allows for more flexibility than maintaining a live cultures.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am now based in Europe and get them there, but they are an American product. I have seen two different packages in the US. One of them at the Prime Shrimp Direct (never done business with them).

Back