What would you like to see in a fish store??

nauticac4

Baby Fish Wrangler
If a store were opening in your area and before it opened you could give the owner a list of what you looked for in a fish store what would YOU ask for? Nothing is out of the question just a hypothetical question to stir up some discussion. Mods I hope I placed this in an appropriate forum if not please move as needed.

The most important thing would be good, solid advice. Not enough fish stores can give information reliably.

Also, no arrogant employees. It's why I don't go to two of the stores nearby, and exclusively visit the other two. One or two poorly-stated employees can turn away a lot of customers for good.

What about setup, types of drygoods, livestock? I am think a few bad employees can ruin any business. Look what happened to Enron :).

everyone really seems to carry the same drygoods and can all order any livestock, I just want knoledgable staff who are friendly and willing to talk to you about whats going on, even if only for a small coral or fish, not jsut the guys spending $2,000. That really ticks me off when I cant get service because they are all fawning over some rich dude. I spend money too, I just dont pull up in a porche and buy a $1000 ricordea rock.

a store that doesn't sell stuff that just cannot survive for the most part.
FROMIAS
LINKEAS
FLAME SCALLOPS
stuff like that.

an SPS tank where the corals maintain or regain the original color instead of turning brown and staying brown.

Good, solid customer service!

First and foremost. If your store's customer service sucks, then I will not come back.

Greet people when they first come in the store, let them know that you are there to help them (they may just need help finding something that they came to buy).

If I get ignored in a LFS, it wears on my patience. I will walk out and not buy anything, even if I came in with the intent to pick something up. You're not getting my hard-earned money if you don't treat me like a valuable customer. You are there for me, I am not there for you.

You want to give people a reason to visit your store. It's going to be difficult to compete with big box stores like petco and petsmart on things like prices, so you MUST out compete them on service! :) This should be easy to do...

Repeat business and loyal customers is what you want.

Service with a smile is what we want!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15163342#post15163342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by username in use
That really ticks me off when I cant get service because they are all fawning over some rich dude.

that's a good point, too... it's not a good business model to just sell to the rich, you must diversify your customer base. Sell more to more people. Good customer service is where it's at.

I don't look like I would spend a lot of money. I am a punk rock dude with tattoos and my working class uniform. When I spend money on my hobbies, though, I take it seriously. And of course, I want to spend MY money with someone who can appreciate that.

I walked into a really nice LFS once ready to spend some real money and got ignored... after being brushed off several times, I looked at everything, all the pretty livestock, etc, then I walked out. The people who worked there probably thought "yeah, that guy didn't look like he was going to spend money and he didn't" so it validated their prejudices. Little did they know that they lost a valuable customer that will never set foot in the store again!

captive bred fish
knowledgable, friendly staff
I am with the others on this one: staff is maybe even more important to me than what you got. I usually go to a locally owned pet store that happens to have a nice saltwater department rather than the specialty fish stores mostly because I like how I am treated there (I am a 37 year old mom, usually with a baby and a toddler in tow. I guess the typical fish store customer is male and in their 20s?). I don't want to be treated like I'm a moron by some 'kid'.

Okay back to 'goods': it would be nice to have some budget, better and best options.
Seems like we have a low price fish store (nothing great in there) and a high end fish store (nothing cheap in there - always a little intimidating). Not sure if it's do-able inventory wise but I would love to be able to go to a store and say: this is what I need and somebody gives me options like:
if you're on a budget this product will do until you're able to upgrade, but this is a little more and a little better and product C will last you forever because it's made from xyz...

Guarantee on livestock that can "compete" with online sites... that's the sole reason I purchase fish online. No hassle guarantee, I rarely need to use it, but in instances where I purchase expensive fish... it HAS to be there.

Also, an SPS frag system... maybe a high end collectors corner as well. One of the LFS's here has high end lineaged chalices and coral frags... of course you market that to a VERY specific buyer, but those buyers usually never complain about the price, and are willing to spend a little extra to see the piece in person.

I couldn't agree more about the customer service aspect.

How about pricing? If PUMP A is $100 online and the store is charging say $120 are you going to pay the extra to a local store?

nauticac4- I would easily pay $5-10 more to buy it in the store.

I think $20 is pushing it. Most people know what stuff goes for at Marine Depot and DF&S... Don't make me (the customer) have to second guess whether I want to purchase something in store or save money and buy it online.

If can put together an order for stuff online and have it shipped to me for much less (and save a trip) then I'm going to do it. If it's closer to the same price, then I'd rather support the local business and will enjoy having something the 'same day'.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15163836#post15163836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by euromomtx
captive bred fish
knowledgable, friendly staff

Besides customer service, I want someone who actually knows what they are talking about from their own experience. Oh, and cares about the hobby and the livestock etc.

I.E. Walk into a local online shop's warehouse and it is kept clean and very well lit. In the past 2 years, they have done something like 3-4 remodels of the location, constantly updating both their displays and their mechanical inventory to make sure they are selling quality, healthy livestock. I don't think a single one of them doesn't have atleast a nano, and if they don't know the answer, they will go ask immediately. You want quality (especially maricultured/aquacultured frags), they will do everything possible to ensure and inform.

At another LFS I go to, they are a mix fresh/salt/reptiles. Here, there are plenty of employees that really have no idea what they are talking about, and they had a cichlid tank once but thought it was cool to do marine fish. A good chunk of them will try and force you/pressure you into buying something. I honestly only shop at this one when one particular employee is in, as he really knows what he is talking about. He will walk me through their livestock and specifically tell me NOT to buy something because its looking a bit ill or such. Further, he owns about 8 different tanks (2 225gs, etc) of his own and understands the hobby and biology.

As for a new store: I want to see someone with the knowledge of the hobby who is actively participating in QTing their tanks and coral propogation right there in the store. I will pay easily 50% more for a fish that is reliably and proven to be better taken care of then the same fish at another less thorough facility.

For me...well maintained and stocked tanks with someone who knows what they are talking about behind the counter. I go into a LFS in the city where I live and its a huge turnoff when I walk in and two college students are sitting on the counter and look at me like I'm some sort of hassle for them...also, its a huge turnoff when I see tanks that look like crap...especially the tanks in front that are "supposed" to be the like the "signature" tank of the store....makes it much easier to drive 50 miles to a better store.

What I want is Drs. Foster & Smith for Livestock. Nothing less. For equipment, Aquarium Specialty. Nothing less.

first off id like a store dedicated to salt water, maybe fish only, my local store waists half his space on dog and cat supplies,

second off in house propagation, if he didn't have the dog and cat stuff he would be able to house a few good sized tanks where he could frag off pieces to go into the sales display tanks, in stead we get to choose from the stuff he orders sight unseen and it usually reflects that,

bulk stock, the fact that he only orders 5 of this and 3 of that means he has the worst prices around, $60.00 for a bucket of red sea salt is ridiculous

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15164511#post15164511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eyesinthedrk

second off in house propagation, if he didn't have the dog and cat stuff he would be able to house a few good sized tanks where he could frag off pieces to go into the sales display tanks, in stead we get to choose from the stuff he orders sight unseen and it usually reflects that,

I'll second that, it'd be nice to see the mother colony and buy a frag from that specific coral.

I nice display tank does a lot for credibility. I'm not gonna ask advice from a store if my tank looks better than theirs. Anyone can order frags and put them in a tank, it tanks a knowledgeable hobbyist to keep healthy corals long term. I like to see a tank with corals that have obvious growth with no algae issues or pests. Also healthy fish. A hospital or rescue tank should be in kept out of view in the back somewhere. I don't want to walk into a store and see fish in poor health.

I'd like to see whats been said above, but also

Be able to special order a specific fish or coral

and
(this is a small stretch cost wise)

A place for those who dont want to look around, where they can sit and watch tv (kind of like a waiting room)

Back