What You Need To Know About Nitrifying Bacteria

canadianeh

I am still cycling my tank. 14 days in now.
My tank seems to be able to consume 2 ppm of ammonia within 24 hours. However, it seems very slow in consuming the Nitrites and bring it to 0 or close to 0 at least (since I believe there will always be a very small amount of Nitrites in water).
I believe I found the answer as to why my tank is much slower in converting to Nitrite to Nitrate.

As many of you know, there are two kinds of bacteria that we care the most when we talk about tank cycling. Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter.
Nitrosomonas converts ammonia to Nitrites. Nitrobacter converts Nitrites to Nitrates.
Nitrosomonas ideal environment is with ph level between 7.8-8.0
Nitrobacter will have optimal growth with water ph between 7.3-7.5

Saltwater aquarist will aim to keep their tank ph level 7.8 and up. This will put Nitrosomonas bacteria in their optimal growth environment, and slow down Nitrobacter growth. Hence, it is normal to see high nitrite concentration in new tanks. I believe this is the answer to my question.

The other interesting thing is how many people leave their lights on during cycle. According to the article apparently nitrifying bacteria is photosensitive, and lights should stay off for minimum of 4 days until bacteria have colonized surfaces. During the first 3 days or so, bacteria may still suspended in water column which is sensitive to lights.

On the article, it also talks about how Phosphate is needed for Nitrobacter to oxidize Nitrite to Nitrate. But wait! All the talk on forums are how people trying to remove Phosphate from their tank by using macroalgae or chemipure! This is the part where I am confused and not sure. Quote from the article:
All species of nitrifying bacteria require a number of micronutrients. Most important among these is the need for phosphorus for ATP (Adenosine Tri-Phosphate) production. The conversion of ATP provides energy for cellular functions. Phosphorus is normally available to cells in the form of phosphates (PO4). Nitrobacter, especially, is unable to oxidize nitrite to nitrate in the absence of phosphates.

The article is provided by an aquatic design and consulting service company. This is the link to the article:http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

I enjoy the article and I hope you all as well

,,On the article, it also talks about how Phosphate is needed for Nitrobacter to oxidize Nitrite to Nitrate. But wait! All the talk on forums are how people trying to remove Phosphate from their tank by using macroalgae or chemipure! This is the part where I am confused and not sure. ,,-Because bacteria removes more nitrates than phosphates and when you get with zero nitrates and bacteria will stop working there will still be a lot of phosphates in the water.Algae lowers phosphates better than bacteria and algae can take directly ammonia without waiting for amonia to be converted into NO2 and NO3.But phosphates can be also reduced chemically by calcium.Calcium adheres to the phosphates and and isolates them .I think thats why the water on the reefs is soo low in phosphates,mostly because of calcium that bonds it and seddiment it.If you get a lower ph then the rocks will start to melt a litle releasing not only calcium but also phosphates.The soo called phosphate leaching rocks that trigger cyano blooms.

,,On the article, it also talks about how Phosphate is needed for Nitrobacter to oxidize Nitrite to Nitrate. But wait! All the talk on forums are how people trying to remove Phosphate from their tank by using macroalgae or chemipure! This is the part where I am confused and not sure. ,,-Because bacteria removes more nitrates than phosphates and when you get with zero nitrates and bacteria will stop working there will still be a lot of phosphates in the water.Algae lowers phosphates better than bacteria and algae can take directly ammonia without waiting for amonia to be converted into NO2 and NO3.But phosphates can be also reduced chemically by calcium.Calcium adheres to the phosphates and and isolates them .I think thats why the water on the reefs is soo low in phosphates,mostly because of calcium that bonds it and seddiment it.If you get a lower ph then the rocks will start to melt a litle releasing not only calcium but also phosphates.The soo called phosphate leaching rocks that trigger cyano blooms.
Thanks but that is not I am confused about. The article says that if lack of Phosphate, Nitrobacter will have hard time converting Nitrite to Nitrate. if this is the truth, then why people is trying to get 0 or close to 0 Phosphate? The article also talks about dosing Phosphate to help Nitrobacter to oxidize Nitrite to Nitrate.

People use algae or GFO phosphate removal media because bacteria can not remove the phosphate efficiently.Nitrate isnt a big problem in a reef but the phosphate is.

People use algae or GFO phosphate removal media because bacteria can not remove the phosphate efficiently.Nitrate isnt a big problem in a reef but the phosphate is.

I don't think you understand my question. :)
I hope someone else can chime in.

On the article, it also talks about how Phosphate is needed for Nitrobacter to oxidize Nitrite to Nitrate. But wait! All the talk on forums are how people trying to remove Phosphate from their tank by using macroalgae or chemipure! This is the part where I am confused and not sure.

The bacteria do need some phosphate, but less than nitrite or nitrate. This is the same reason many people run small amounts of GFO while Carbon dosing- the bacteria just don't use up a whole lot.

I haven't tested nitrites in any of my tanks since about 2000. Using what I think is a simple technique using water from an established reef, properly quarintined maricultured or wild live rock to get cryptic sponges and organisms and live sand I don't see any cycle and can add corals almost immediately. Looking at your link it looks more like an infomercial with refferences only to places to buy products. FYI ATM contracts with other service companies to take care of their tanks and it looks like this is one of them.

Back