Whats the best coral to start with?

eb8919

Reefaholic
Hello, all. My tank has just recently finished cycling and i want to really be patient with the maturing process before i get into anything that is unlikely to survive very long. I was wondering what some good types of corals are to look at to put in early on in a tanks life. Right now i have some mushrooms and a frag of zoanthids. They are doing great so far, i was told they are very hardy, and any where i researched them said the same. I'm trying to expand my options, so i figured who better to ask then every one here. Just to give a quick background of the tank, its a 50 gallon long 20 pounds base rock, 20 pounds live rock, (more comming soon) ammon-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 temp-75-76 salinity-1.24 ph-8.2. 2 54 watt t5ho 10000k 2 54 watt actinic 10000k. So thats my story so far, thanks for any advice in advance.

eb8919

Reefaholic
Thank you very much, i'm gonna start researching those now, and see which ones i like best. :) maybe i'll post some pictures soon if i get lucky and make a new purchase.

rickh

Get a $10 leather frag like the others recommended.
But be ready to start finding homes for all the babies they produce. There is a constant pile of self-fraged Devils Hand babies in my tank:)

camlov2

Premium Member
I am sure you already know but I felt like mentioning it anyway...

Don't add a large amount of rock at one time, you could produce another cycle. Add small amounts at a time and make sure you have extra water ready incase you need to do water changes.

eb8919

Reefaholic
Ya i only plan on adding small amounts at a time. I don't want to jump the gun like many people i know or have read about. What supplements/food supply do i absolutly need right away for the leathers?