whats the purpose of calcium reactor.

aaronbaker1

i do not use one. i was just just wandering what they do for your tank. i have never had a calcium issue when i test my water.

It adds calcium to your system. You put an aragonite media inside and hook up CO2. The CO2 drops the ph thus breaking down the aragonite putting calcium into the water. They are pretty much a standard piece of equipment on heavy SPS tanks.

If your running a 46 bow front tank I would use additives like B-Ionic or Two part (Bulkreefsupply) before I invested in a reactor...JMI

Reactors are great but could be very costly to buy and operate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258808#post12258808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
It adds calcium to your system.
And alkalinity, and many other elements and compounds that stony corals incorporate into their skeletons.

an easy way to think of it:

an easy way to think of it:

The simplest way I have heard it described, and the easiast way to think of it, is that a calcium reactor provides a steady supply of alkalinity to your aquarium. A kalk reactor/stirrir adds calcium to your system. I used just a kalk stirrir for a long time, and always had low alkalinity. I went with a "poor mans" calcium reactor which consists of a 1 gallon jug of Randy holmes farley's 2 part recipe (alkalinity compnent) and a simple aqua medic dosing pump. all told it works great, costs a LOT less than a calcium reactor setup, and is easy as heck to use. I run my pump off my AC3, but it could be accomplished with any simple digital timer.

Back