What's the single best fish in this hobby?

Fish559

You can only choose one. You have a tank chock full of corals, inverts, etc. It's beautiful. But you can only choose one fish (FYI - it won't eat your coral).

What do you choose?

For me, it's this guy.
file.jpg

I love that tall body and long nose. Those stripes. It almost shines like no other fish. The fun pectoral fins. The cool eye in the back. There's a lot of evolution in that fish. It just screams "marine fish" to me. I love their personality too. I had one in my fish tank - it was the only fish that seemed to look back to you.

What would be your choice?

+1 on the copperband, although I've had awful luck with them over the past 15years. I've prob had 30 and all seem to get outplayed. I've had mine now for a good year, he's fat as can be and sticks up with all my tangs and angel.

I love when he eats you hear a loud clicking. Does yours do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love when he eats you hear a loud clicking. Does yours do that?

I only had mine for maybe 6 months before I sold him to a fellow reefer. Similar problem - he couldn't compete with the other fish in the tank. I don't recall him clicking - but my wife would feed him from her hand. He would let her pet him.

The CBB used to be my all-time favorite, but I like a bunch of others now, including green mandarins. Ten - 20 years ago I kept a CBB in each customer tank to eat aiptasia, and they were tough as nails. Now, everyone tells me they are all but impossible to keep. I really like marine bettas (comets) but the one I have now almost never comes out of hiding. Beautiful, expensive fish which I catch a glimpse of once in a while. Damn stupid thing. Leopard wrasse is a beauty, but I can't find one locally.

Is that thing for real? Never seen one before. Where do you get and how much???

If you have to ask you can't afford it ;)

Kevin, he's some kind of damsel. Pretty cool dude. He was long lost and thought dead but was found and rescued during a tank move. His frequent jumping in overflows and going for drain ride stunts landed him in several tanks / filtration systems over the years but since he eventually had nowhere left to call home he ended up getting a permanent home in my 600gal tank. Everyone likes Kevin and Kevin seems to like everyone, except frank, frank is a real jerk, nobody likes frank.

My answer would have changed through the years, but right now my McCosker's Wrasse is my fav. Fearless, beautiful, always showing off (flashing), incredibly curious about anything I'm doing and also ways seems to be asking me "œwhats's up?".
Love my Solorensis also for similar reasons.

Since CBBs have previously been mentioned, a close runner-up IMO are good old Flame Hawks.

Back