What's up w/Linoma Reefs site?

Korrine

You could get a ticket!!
General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown MySQL server host 'mysql.a2mwebsolutions.com' (1) [2005]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

We are experiencing problems retrieving the database from the server. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve the issue. Thank you for your patience. At this time we do not have an estimated time of resolve.

I would guess so if they can't get the database. I believe that without that they have nothing, if I'm thinking right.

i wonder if they have heard about the concept of "backup"...lol...seriously tho, a website being down for 3 days is pretty much unheard of in this day and age...they either forgot to pay the bill with the provider or have a corrupted database and no backup, in which case...yeah, that would suck

I'm sure they know what they're doing. The site runs through the server and my tech sister just said if they can't retrieve the data it could be the server that's the main issue so back up wouldn't matter without a server. She said it could be a number of things too. FYI, she's IT for the navy.

I think the people that run this might be volunteers, just like the board. In which case, they all have lives outside of a website. I just hope it's fixable :)

No doubt your sister knows what she's talking about but I manage a data center for UNL and work with servers every day. In most cases, websites like these are "hosted" which means they are on someone else's server and if it is with a reputable hosting provider, a server failure wouldn't be bad because hosting providers have redundancy built in to their systems as required by their service contracts with clients who need 99.99 uptime. If they are hosting it on their own servers, they obviously are not practicing best practices which would be having backup copies of your database. If the web/app server goes bad, you reinstall the software, configure it and upload your database and good to go...I think there is more going on in this case. I find it hard to believe even though they are volunteers that someone wouldn't have been maintaining a backup of the database.

Hope they can work through it as well...what a shame to start from ground zero.

i wonder if they have heard about the concept of "backup"...lol...seriously tho, a website being down for 3 days is pretty much unheard of in this day and age...they either forgot to pay the bill with the provider or have a corrupted database and no backup, in which case...yeah, that would suck

How sad.

Coming onto the board when I did, I have lots of pieces and parts of several story's concerning how this could happen. What the current BODs are faced with is issues of sight ownership. From what I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) Linoma came first, owned by a member of the newly formed Nebraska Marine Society. When NMS wanted a forum, it was decided that since Linoma was already built and running, that it would serve as the forum. NMS has control over NebraskaMarineSociety.com, but Linoma is in the name of a former member. Last winter, this member sent out the information to upkeep Linoma to the NMS but it must have been over looked or misunderstood. Now Linoma is down and the NMS has no proof of ownership to retrieve the data. We are working on building a forum from scratch just in case we have to go that route. This is not a teribly hard thing to do, but we are holding out a little longer in the hope that we will just be able to get the information and get linoma back up. I hope this post makes sense and answers some questions. It's 1:30 a.m. and all of the BODs are loosing allot of sleep over this! I miss linoma!

Last edited:
Now Linoma is down and the NMS has no proof of ownership to retrieve the data.
Are saying that the owner of the linomareefs.com domain (who I know is Jeremy Senn in Lincoln...Zenn on the linoma site) is holding the domain name hostage?...if so, I sincerely hope it is not some attempt on his part for some sort of financial gain...and if not, I don't understand why Jeremy just can't help to sort this out...phone call..."Hey Jeremy, we're in a real bind here...can you help us out this one last time?" I know Jeremy has since exited the hobby and he pretty much sold off his entire setup on linomareefs.com to many who used the site. What a shame if all of this is happening because of some sort of attempt at a money grab from a little not for profit reefkeeping club

Domain Name: LINOMAREEFS.COM
Registrar: 1 & 1 INTERNET AG
Whois Server: whois.schlund.info
Referral URL: http://REGISTRAR.SCHLUND.INFO
Name Server: NS51.1AND1.COM
Name Server: NS52.1AND1.COM
Updated Date: 21-oct-2010
Creation Date: 20-sep-2006
Expiration Date: 20-sep-2011

Are saying that the owner of the linomareefs.com domain (who I know is Jeremy Senn in Lincoln...Zenn on the linoma site) is holding the domain name hostage

NO! This is not the case! Lets not start slandering people or start any nasty rumurs!

Guys, unless you actually know what has happened let's not fuel the fire here. We've been on the other side of this kind of thing and it's never good. Ride it out and find out first before any accusations, or spread rumors.

Back