Where's the Par Meter Thread

freddie40

The Par Meter Thread:

In an effort to help local reefers D.A.R.C. has purchased a Par Meter. The meter is for everyone, and we would like to share it starting today. Here's the requirements to make sure that people will have access to the meter for years to come.

1) You must be a member of D.A.R.C. Not a member yet. Just send all of your contact info (i.e. Name, address, email address, phone #) to D.A.R.C@comcast.net. That's it.

2) You must have at least 100 postings on ReefCentral.

3) We will require a deposit, i.e. leave a check for the amount of the Meter. The check will not be cashed unless the meter is not returned.

4) You must post your name and city in this thread if you currently have the meter. Please then contact Freddie40 to make arrangements.

5) Please keep the meter only as long as you need it. When you are finished please return it to Dave, Rob or the next person in line.

Sorry to be so strict, but Denver is a very big community and D.A.R.C would like to keep the meter for a long time.

Thanks,

Dave, Rob & Grim

So I did some testing with the par meter. Here's my results.

My tank 75 gallon
Lights: 6-48" T5 bulbs: From front to back Sfiligoi Super Actinic, ATI Blue+, KZ Fiji Purple, UVL 75/25, ATI Blue+, Sfiligoi Super Actinic. The 4 in the center are on a Icecap 660 and have Tek Reflectors.

1st test: The 2 Sfiligoi bulbs have Icecap reflectors. Par =265
2nd test: The 2 Sfiligoi bulbs are turned off. Par = 215
3rd test. The Sfiligoi bulb in front has no reflector. The Sfiligoi in the rear has a Tek reflector. Par = 242.

This has been helpful. I know that 265 is probably too much par. So I will run the front Sfiligoi without a reflector for a while to reduce par.

Dave

Dave's Tank.jpg

Last edited:
Great info., thanks for posting.
Have you measured your tank with the middle 4 with a normal ballast?
How deep is your tank?
and one final question, what do you consider the correct amount of par for your tank if 265 is too much?

I haven't measured the middle 4 with a normal ballast because I only have an Icecap 660.
My tank is a 75 gallon, 20 inches deep.
Your last question is very interesting as I have been think about it too. I am thinking that maybe 265 is a bit low for the bottom of a 20" tank. Recently I switched to this bulb combo and the light is more pleasing and much visibly brighter. I have yet to test it with the par meter but I will do it soon.
From front to back: Sfiligoi Super Actinic, ATI Blue+, ATI AquaBlue, Ati Sun Pro, ATI AquaBlue, ATI Blue Plus

I was wondering what type of par meter you have? I have been looking at them for myself and thought i might try the clubs first.

seems to be the most affordable option. I would like to check it out. Am changing bulbs this week and have thursday, friday and sunday off. I live a block away from you so I can have it back really quickly. Let me know. thx

I would like to use the meter to see where my tank is at.....

Does anyone know who has it......

I would love to borrow the par meter aswell. just sent a email to darc, and live very close to icantremember. I built a DIY LED kit and would love to see where it puts me. thanks freddie40

i jsut seen alot of people asking to borrow it but no responses
whats the deposit?
guess i better get busy posting ...lol ....42 to go

After people ask for it here we usually communicate by PM. The deposit is a $260 check that will not be cashed unless the meter is nor returned. PM me with your contact info and we can set up a time.

Dave

Back