Which RODI unit to buy?

TURKLET0N

Are filters universal or does each brand have their own type of connection. I'm wondering if I buy a RODI unit then I'm stuck with only buying from that dealer when I buy refills.

I'm going to be honest here and I know I will get some backlash from the experts here, but I bought a 100GPD 5 stage from eBay early in 2015 and I loved it. I had 99% rejection rate by my calculations and it lasted over a year before I needed to replace the filters.

Below is the one I got. Please note that the canisters don't really matter, but the important thing is the actual filters inside. When I got it, it was $87.00 with free shipping, but it looks like it went up.

What it comes with:
100 GALLON PER DAY SYSTEM

1ST STAGE 5 MICRON SEDIMENT FILTER
2ND STAGE GAC WATER FILTER
3RD STAGE 1 MICRON CARBON BLOCK WATER FILTER
4TH STAGE MEMBRANE
5TH STAGE MIXED BED DI COLOR CHANGING FILTER IN CLEAR HOUSING

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-STAGE-Aquarium-Reef-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-RO-DI-100-GPD-MEMBRANE-/151333213144?hash=item233c2993d8

Think I would have to agree with Webmanny on this one, canisters are canisters for the most part, if they dont crack in the first few months they are probably going to go the distance. It is nice to have the clear canisters but only mandatory for the DI resin cartridge. (assuming you buy color changing DI) the filters are where you want to concentrate your efforts. The systems designed for doing reef tank stuff like BRS you surely wont be disappointed with but if your shaving pennies as most of us are worry morso about the filters and not the containers.
In the end its like most things, you could just buy nice stuff and be happy or you could try and gamble a bit, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I just got the BRS 75GPD value model and did the 1 hour break in time and did about 5 gallons of RODI water for curing some rock last night. Instructions say it does 3 gallons per hour but it did 5gallons in about an hour and 15 minutes. And you cant beat the price and with free shipping!

In my opinion the most important things are a high quality membrane and carbon blocks for chloramine removal.

That said, I have a unit from air water ice, the bracket is very nice and their support is great. I buy replacement filters locally.

quality filters! It's been mentioned and I'm mentioning again. And get a booster pump down the road. I love mine.

Support your local fish stores!! When you have questions or need support they will be the ones there for you. Some of them are very price competitive with online stores.
I know FAOIS will put together a RO/DI system specific to your needs. And I'm pretty sure last time this came up Drysdale said he had systems in stock as well.

Support your local fish stores!! When you have questions or need support they will be the ones there for you. Some of them are very price competitive with online stores.
I know FAOIS will put together a RO/DI system specific to your needs. And I'm pretty sure last time this came up Drysdale said he had systems in stock as well.

Agreed 100%. I buy my replacement cartridges locally. The unit itself, I got on eBay the first time I got it, but yes... buy local guys. Keep these stores alive.

I know Drysdale stocks high quality filter crtridges and di resin. I ha e bought both there.

This, as they can make sure it is set up correctly before you leave the store and can answer all your questions you may have, such as when to replace filters, etc...

Back