Who's got a Midas Blenny

falconut

Does anybody or has anybody had a Midas Blenny in their reef or FOWLR tank? I believe they are the safest Blenny for the reef tanks, but are they aggressive?

1. What types of fish are in with your Midas?

2. Is it aggressive with any?

3. How long have you had it?

4. What size tank?

5. Would it be OK with a Royal Gramma, Banner Cardinal, Mandarin, Geometric Pygmy Hawk, Neon Goby & a Pinkspot Goby?

I recently lost my midas blenny. He was a great little fish no problems with any tankmates. I had him for exactly 3 months. He had a rough acclimation, and never really recovered to 100%. Mine was in a 65G with a coral beauty, and 2 clowns. He perched on the rock, and would come out and swim for a bit then go back to his little perch. He was a great addition to my tank, and I really do miss him. I am planning on getting another one soon.

1. tangs, blennys, wrasses, gobies, long nosed halkfish, chromis, pipefish
2. My midas is probably the most peacefull fish in the tank next to the pipe
3. Had him about 8 months
4. 210 gal
5. I think he would get along but I'm not sure about the other way around ;)
6. He swims more than my other blennys and gobies but he still hangs on the rock a lot of the time. Whenever I'm near the tank he's front and center hoping for a treat!

Ours recently went carpet surfing, even with eggcrate on top of the tank. He was a little on the skittish side, which may have contributed to his demise. Look for one that responds to you, rather than one that hides.

Except for occasionally making close passes on our firefish, the Blenny never bothered any of our fishes, including our small gobies.

L.E.E.

midas blendys are great.. had mine for over a year now and he never bothers anyone..

i've had mine for going on a month now, i love him. he's in my 55g with a firefish, clown, royal gramma(most peaceful fish in the tank, BTW), scooter dragon, and flame angel. he perches a lot, and hid from me at first, but he learned really quick who feeds him. right at the front when i walk up to the tank, now. tons of personality, good purchase.

none of my fish are aggressive. my cleaner shrimp is more aggressive than my midas, but that might change(i hope not), over time.

Re: Who's got a Midas Blenny

1. What types of fish are in with your Midas? Wrasses, tang, juvi lionfish (temporary)

2. Is it aggressive with any? No

3. How long have you had it? 1.5 - 2 years

4. What size tank? 90 moved to 75

5. Would it be OK with a Royal Gramma, Banner Cardinal, Mandarin, Geometric Pygmy Hawk, Neon Goby & a Pinkspot Goby? Heard they may pick on gobies in smaller tanks. Better chance if gobies already established.

6. Do they mostly swim around or lay on the rocks like other blenny's? Swim more then most blennys, not as much as something like a canary fang blenny.

I have had several. They are not aggressive in large tanks. Mine beat up its tank mates while in a 25 gallon QT.

ive had my midas blenny for about 3-4 months now and i must say that it has the coolest personality, i have him with a sohal tang and a bluethroat trigger pair, mine is always swimming around and has a little cave on each side of the tank, he isnt aggressive at all and i think he is the coolest little fish, kinda crazy so my girlfriend calls him kamikaze

I've had my midas for about 4 months. Great fish - ate pellet food the first time. Doesn't bother anyone. In a 225 with a pair of black saddleback clowns, a radiant wrasse, and a foxface. Out a lot of the time but gows back and forth from his rock hole and the water column.

Thanks for asking the question I thought about getting one but the book i read said they are agresive so i never got one but im glad to hear otherwise.

Re: Who's got a Midas Blenny

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848806#post9848806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by falconut
Does anybody or has anybody had a Midas Blenny in their reef or FOWLR tank? I believe they are the safest Blenny for the reef tanks, but are they aggressive?

1. What types of fish are in with your Midas?-all knd

2. Is it aggressive with any?nope

3. How long have you had it?1 year

4. What size tank?240

5. Would it be OK with a Royal Gramma, Banner Cardinal, Mandarin, Geometric Pygmy Hawk, Neon Goby & a Pinkspot Goby?

I love midas they r purdy and well behaved.

Mine did well with a coral beauty angel, clownfish, and a fourline wrasse. Unfortunately mine also jumped, but I think it was harassed by a female tomato clown that had spawned.

Mine found a hole in the LR that it made it's home and would retreat to it anytime threatened. But never showed any aggression towards its tankmates.

I have a canary blenny now that is smaller but equally peaceful. The tomato clowns have been traded away.

I found a small one at my LFS, maybe about 1-1/2" - 2".

1. It was swimming the entire time I was observing it. Is this normal for them? I thought they were supposed to perch around some.

2. It's stomach looked like it had little bumps inside it. Is this also normal, maybe just depends on what it ate?

3. Also, it was $40. Is that a reasonable price for them or should it be cheaper?

I'm trying to decide if I should wait for another one or if this one seams OK.

I have been eying one at my LFS for 2 weeks but like others heard they were aggressive so I passed on the purchase.
I read this thread this morning and went out and got him, Its only been this evening but he is out meeting the others and has already had his first meal. Very glad I happened on this thread when I did, I think he will be a great addition.
BTW, I paid $39.00 for mine.

Back