Why do we attack eachother on prices?

"... While on the topic of aquaculture, let's have a look at the false notion that keeping frags and promoting frags, even captive grown frags are deterring wild coral collection. The idea is good but again is flawed. Here is a typical example. A nice wild echino soon to be the "œnew watermelon chalice" is collected from the wild. It is sent to a wholesaler in the US. The coral gets picked up by a smart guy that specializes in fragging. He knows the value of this coral. I don't blame the guy, to make money, I would do the same. So he cuts up the precious colony into many parts. Even glues them on a plug and let's them heal. Then he smartly calls it a special name and starts to market it. The demand skyrockets. He is finally left with one piece to grow out. But he is still getting huge demand. The price starts to climb on this precious little thing. The frags become from an inch to three quarters, to half of an inch! The guy feeds the coral everyday and keeps it under pristine conditions hoping that it grows faster. The other guys who have bought the coral are doing the same thing. If the coral can grow fast enough to supply the demand, yes it can be kept internal. Unfortunately coral do not grow as fast we would like, so the pressure eventually mounts to the collector side "“ me! The lucky guy who found the precious piece originally goes back to the wholesaler and waits for the "œwild coral" shipment to arrive every week. Heck, he even camps out and helps open up the boxes in hoping to find another piece or perhaps a new morph or coral that he can market again and make 100,000% profit! Of course this is not to mention his famous name that is being developed because of the precious chalice. Pictures are sent to overseas for that coral to be found, to me. Of course I say you and hundred other people are looking for this coral from the wild! They will pay whatever for it and will go any lengths to get it. The fishermen don't really know so they will get whatever they find. If you are lucky one will be there and it could be a 15 inch monster. I've sent out such pieces (not the watermelon but another killer piece) and of course it got fragged. And for course I sent it for that such purpose because my customer had requested it, because his customer had requested it. And the demand eventually came from the hobbyists, trying to collect all the nicest pieces. Are you guys getting my point? The demand for zoos and palys are even worse. With all the crazy names out there being marketed under, and the demand skyrocketing, right now I export on the average of 150-200 of these at a time on a shipment.
..."

Form:
http://eddie-coral-adventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/thoughts-on-wild-coral-export.html

It goes on!
:worried:

Grandis.

Thank you for posting this! It's spot on. Another article where the ugly truth is established!

Mark, that was basically the same idea/observation I was going to send you bruh.
BTW- Love the saying under you name... LMAO

Mark, that was basically the same idea/observation I was going to send you bruh.
BTW- Love the saying under you name... LMAO

Haha I just hope people do not confuse it in regards to corals.

I also got it on my AR ejection port cover.

CO-sign... was gonna get the punisher on mine.

On the receiver or port? I got mine on the receiver.

btw everyone this is the very rare "punisher paly". It engulfs any food item within seconds haha jk.

Attachments

• punisher.jpg
    punisher.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1
I have been reefing for only a year, and all i have known are these "designer" corals, I dont know any different, maybe thats why I, and other reefers are OK with paying these prices, because thats the norm for us. Believe me if I could get "high end" corals for alot cheaper i would.

I have been reefing for only a year, and all i have known are these "designer" corals, I dont know any different, maybe thats why I, and other reefers are OK with paying these prices, because thats the norm for us. Believe me if I could get "high end" corals for alot cheaper i would.

Point proven... Newbies have absolutely no idea, they are completely blindsided when the walk into the hobby. This is why we all must speak out, to educate!

The first thing you must realize brother, is that there is no such thing as "high end" corals. Anyone who tells you other wise is trying to sell you something... You have been tricked right from the start.

I guess by high end I mean purrrrdy.

Believe me brother you can find "purrrrdy, and stunning" polyps without paying "high end" prices.
They may not be as mainstream as they used to be in some areas, as every single little price gouger strives to get their hands on them all, like beanie babies... The more the price gougers have, the more they control the price and system.
However, the truth remains, they are still available (where do you think they get them from for $30-60 a colony before they chop them up and sell them for $30-$60 a polyp?)... You just have to start searching.

people just got to know what to look for. For example one of three large (300+) colonies I have are eagle eyes (my avatar). I bought it for like 40 bucks a year ago and it was not nearly as colorful as it is now. The store it was in had them under some very poor lighting and they were dull. Now they are bright and get the attention from people. In other words if you know what to look for you can get deals.

More "common" than many are lead to believe these days.....

I have found too many to mention "rare", "high end", and even "one of a kind" corals this way.

More "common" than many are lead to believe these days.....

I have found too many to mention "rare", "high end", and even "one of a kind" corals this way.

Agreed again! I recently picked up a rare find of zoas at a LFS. It was a $30 colony, over 200 polyps.

Back