Why I choose to keep small fish in largeish reef aquariums

LesMelling

Registered Old Reefer
Many years ago I made a conscious decision to concentrate of keeping smaller specimens of reef fish and in as large an aquarium as I could afford to have and run. No large tangs, angels or the like for me. (I tell a lie as I currently house a smallish yellow tang which I put in my previous tank to rid it of some nuisance Caulerpa I will move it on when I need to) At the same time.

I also made the decision to try as much as possible to house my fish as they would be found in nature. Therefore, I won't keep any open water fish and only those that stayed close to the reef structure and corals just as they would be found in their natural habitat on and in the reef. I also keep my fish in pairs, trios or small groups again as they would be found on the reef.

There are many reasons I chose to go down this route not least of which was concern for the welfare of the fish in my care. However, there are more reasons that I think we should consider when setting up our reef tanks and our choice of fish. The following is the main reasons I went with my decisions.

1/As above IMO we all have a moral obligation to provide the best care we can for any animal we keep. We are the custodians of those animals we incarcerate in their glass box. If you can't meet the requirements of an animal then don't keep it, it really is as simple as that. We have a duty of care which entails many things from space to diet to tank mates, there are more of course.

2/ By choosing fish that naturally stay close the reefscape and corals we are mimicking their natural enthronement. This has many beneficial effects on the fish IMO. Our fish will feel secure in familiar surroundings. Fish will feel less stressed (always a good thing right?) They will be healthier, often more colourful and even less aggressive to others. Your fish will live longer lives as a result.

3/ When we house fish in as they are found on the reef in pairs or small groups many will nest build and spawn as mine often do while others are pelagic spawner's of course . EG, I have a pair of common clowns that spawn continuously, a group of damsels that do the same. A pair of pinstriped wrasse that spawn and so on.

Many fish that I have heard people say are boring come alive when they have a mate after all fish live to eat and reproduce along with self-preservation. I have 2 different species of gobies along with partner pistol shrimps in a symbiotic relationship as my clowns are in their Red Bubble Tip Anemone. BTW I would never keep clowns without a host anemone as they are never found in nature without one and yes I know about clowns doing well without an anemone and even spawning without a host nem.

4/ Let's take a look at so-called age old stocking fish ratio in relation to size of fish per gallon. 5 x 1" damsels does not equate to a 5" angel for instance with regards to bio load so there is less pressure on your filters. I am not suggesting you can therefore cram your aquarium with a lot more fish as a result, however. Having said that most small fish are almost constant feeders so I feed a little and often and provide a good varied diet but that is for another post. Most my fish are opportunistic feeders feeding on what comes their way in the water column but I digress.

5/ My fish enjoy a predator free environment, sure there is the odd squabble as with my 5 star damsels but they are so preoccupied chasing one another they have no time or any other fish in the aquarium it would seem. However, these squabbles never end in any injuries to any of them not even a nipped fin. I recently introduced a pair of Purple Firefish, none of my fish including the damsels have given them a second look.

There are other reasons I have chosen to keep my reef as I do and I could expand on the above but I have covered most of if not all the main reasons for my choice, my fish have no option after all.

Finally, I would like to think given the choice or returning to the reef with all the perils that await them or staying residing in the 5 star Hilton I call my reef aquarium they would choose the latter . I have no real way of knowing this but all appear very healthy and contented with what I provide in my 100-gallon reef tank. I am not trying to preach to you all at all as these are just my thoughts and philosophy towards my animals and reef keeping yours of course, may well differ.

My latest pairing a pair (I hope) of Royal Gramma's bought today.

20160604_200401_zpszq16a7wg.jpg

Thank you for sharing your approach to stocking your tank. I have seen other posts here with similar thoughts. The idea has me thinking about my new 120g tank that is cycling. I've also read that pairing fish can increase the aggression in the tank. Glad to hear that's not always the case. Would you mind sharing your stock list?

Sure, not all my fish are in pairs or groups unfortunately but here is my fish lis all house in my 100 gallon reef tank.

1/ Pair of common Clowns. Spawning Confirmed
2/ Pair of Royal Gramma's (hopefully)
3/ 3 Purple Firefish inc1 pair. Spawning confirmed.
4/ 5 Blue Star Damsels. Spawning confirmed.
5/ 3 Red Scooter Blennies.
6/ 1 Starry Algae Blenny
7/ Par of Pinstriped Wrasses.(hopefully)
8/Pair of Talbots Damsels. Spawning confirmed.
9/ A Midas Blenny.
10/ A Pinkbar Goby.

Total fish 22

One of my favorite kinds of tanks. Many of the littler fish we keep never stray far from their sleeping holes on the reef, barring local disaster, so we can provide them something very close to a natural environment. And an absence of sharks. Watching the little guys politic among themselves is a nice pastime.

Very nice.Surprized the Talbot Damsels don't cause problems.

Yeah, I keep hearing how much of a bully they are however this is the 2nd pair I have owned in different tanks and they surprisingly are as good as gold never bothering anything.

One of my favorite kinds of tanks. Many of the littler fish we keep never stray far from their sleeping holes on the reef, barring local disaster, so we can provide them something very close to a natural environment. And an absence of sharks. Watching the little guys politic among themselves is a nice pastime.

Agreed and part of my reason for keeping them of course.

Yeah, I keep hearing how much of a bully they are however this is the 2nd pair I have owned in different tanks and they surprisingly are as good as gold never bothering anything.

Maybe my problem was only having the one.Everyones happier with a mate.Lol

Nice tank. Add me to the list of keeping smaller fish in aquaria. I'm actually a huge fan of damsels. I have a pair of Azure's (had 3 for a long while but somehow they got into a heated fight and the spawning pair killed the other one). I'm surprised the Talbot has a bad rap. They are usually the more tamer of the damsels.

I'm in the works of upgrading my 40 breeder (rose bubble tip split again and 5 fully expanded are too much for the tank) to a 180 - 240 gallon and will be doing a similar approach. Damsels mostly with the exception of a Kole tang and Copperband Butterfly(two of my favorite fish). Every time I go scuba diving in warmer waters I enjoy the reef crest area that is just teaming with fish. Those fish more often than not are damsels and wrasses with a few tangs or butterflies mixed in.

So that is what I'm going to try and mimic. Nice tank btw, I like it and the approach.

Current fish list

Current fish list

Thanks guys seems the vast majority of people on the forums I posted similar about agree with my philosophy.

Here is my current fish list, you will note some are single fish as it's not always possible of course to get pairs etc or form them from scratch.

1/ Pair of common Clowns. Spawning Confirmed
2/ Pair of Royal Gramma's (hopefully)
3/ 3 Purple Firefish inc1 pair. Spawning confirmed.
4/ 5 Blue Star Damsels. Spawning confirmed.
5/ 3 Red Scooter Blennies.
6/ 1 Starry Algae Blenny
7/ Par of Pinstriped Wrasses.(hopefully)
8/Pair of Talbots Damsels. Spawning confirmed.
9/ A Midas Blenny.
10/ A Pinkbar Goby with partner pistol shrimp.
11/ A Yellow watchman goby with partner pistol shrimp.*

Total fish 23

Hi Less. I also try to keep smaller fish and also try to get them in pairs so they spawn. My largest fish is a copperband which I bought very young. I would rather have 30 tiny, interesting (spawning) fish than 5 larger more common fish.
I keep bluestripe pipes, mandarins, ruby red dragonettes, clown gobies, various gobies etc. They are also all spawning and I assume happy. I had two tiny bangai cardinals but they grew to about 2 1/2" so they are not to small any more.

Hi Less. I also try to keep smaller fish and also try to get them in pairs so they spawn. My largest fish is a copperband which I bought very young. I would rather have 30 tiny, interesting (spawning) fish than 5 larger more common fish.
I keep bluestripe pipes, mandarins, ruby red dragonettes, clown gobies, various gobies etc. They are also all spawning and I assume happy. I had two tiny bangai cardinals but they grew to about 2 1/2" so they are not to small any more.

Paul, Atoll here ;) As you know we share many common view inc super models. I have such a model here ...I have one of HMS Victory in fact :lolspin:

That was a very nice summary of my thoughts on fish keeping as well. Thanks for posting.

Thanks and glad you agree

When you think about it don't you think my philosophy make a lot of sense. We can't improve on mother nature she has had millions of years to perfect her ways etc. If you can mimic what she does as much as is possible for you and your animals then you can't go far wrong.

Hello Atoll, I didn't know that was you, but I have been married for 44 years and didn't know that was my wife either. :idea:

Love it! I've taken a similar approach to my 70g, and if I was to ever upgrade it would be to keep more pairs/harems of smaller fish (including smaller leopard wrasses and anthias - up to 3" fish), but not for the bigger guys.

Back