won pro heater, must see

crescent1

Premium Member
i was checking the threads tonite and i came across another post by zigzag, he wanted to know if you could bypass the thermostat and just power up the heating element.

i got curious, so i opened up my 500 watt heater wich stopped working last week, i noticed that there is no ground on the unit, only a neutral(white wire) and a hot wire(black wire).

the ground wire(green wire) is there, but not connected and as you can tell by the picture, its factory snipped(cut) and not used.

this is a NO NO in the electrical world, shame on you won company.
wonpro1.jpg

I bet you guys and gals, that none of the won pro heaters have a ground on them, and they use the neutral as a ground wich shouldent meet the UL approved standards.

Actually...this really ****es me off now....Can't we find a friggin titanium heater worth a crap out there? This is really ridiculous.

Ok, maybe I dont understand.

What would you ground? What would you ground it to?

Sometimes in the boards I get to play with at work there is a tiny printed circuit that goes around the outside of the board for individual components that need to be grounded... most the time there isn't.

I agree that there is nothing to ground to . . . The plug is most likely rated for the watts pulled and the cheapest method is to just cut the extra wire. Left it would just short out the board.

With my lights the ground goes to a washer that is screwed to the case. If something happened, the idea is to save the ballast. The light, on the other hand, will already be toast.

If something goes wrong with your heater, the heater is already gonna be toast.... and Won is prolly counting on your regular cicuit breaker to shut off power when the main power leads cross.

Hahaha we had this one game, Track and Field, that we would rent to a private pool every year for thier end of summer party thing... they only gave us a 2 prong plug for power so we cut the ground offa the cable and plugged it in. When the wet swimmers went to play the game and touched a bit of metal they got a funny lil tingle. Oddly enough it was very popluar with the kiddies.

Mwahahaha!

Casie said:
lol yeah... but what would you ground it to on that board?

Im sure that some where on the board there would be a grounding terminal for the plug. ...Sounds like Mhurley hit it on the nose...Will there ever be a decent company out there? and if there is, its gonna cost us a whole lot.

RBB213

the heat is on

the heat is on

technically the heater should have a isolated ground, either on the pc board or the heating rod, in case of a short.

when I get a chance I will test the two leads which I pulled out of the heater rod, there about 20' long, and test how many volts are running thru them.
wonpro2.jpg

Last edited:
Thats interesting... has anyone else opened their heater to check this? Maybe the person who built yours was having a bad day?

Also has anyone thought to call WON and ask them whats up with the no grounding..

24vdc

24vdc

if you look at the blue box( transformer) it says that the heating coil( the heating rod that goes in your tank) is getting 24vdc, wich amounts to the power you would find in a household door bell transformer, not enough volts to hurt you but would tingle a bit in saltwater.

i still cant figure out why the control module isent grounded, except for the isolated neutral( white wire) .
wonpro3.jpg

Back